Hard Drive 0 Problem [HELP!]

I turned on the pc at 9:30 = everything worked as usually
I turned on the pc at 9:50 = wasn't able to load the OS (win 7 home premium 64bit)
I runned the diagnostics from windows
no probems found
I runned the diagnostics from the bios
problem detected in the hard drive 0
I have hard drive 0 (750gb hard disk with operating system and all the files)
and hard drive 1 (30 gb cache SSD)
please tell me I didn't break my hard disk and lost all the data

MattyB

First rule of Fight Club........backup.

I really hope you haven't lost everything. Doesn't sound great.

Shit.....
BTW thanks for your help
Any idea Why it happened
Does the warranty cover this kind of issues? (I bought this pc in October 2012)
How much time will it take to the support center to change the broken hardware? (I live in Italy)

R: Hard Drive 0 Problem [HELP!]

Dell is going to ship me a new hard disk just like the broken one in about 2 days
Not bad :)
At least they are efficient
BTW thank you guys for helping me:)
Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

AeonSoul

You could have tried checking for bad sectors using any uitility provided by the hard drive manufacturer. But since DELL is shipping you a new hard drive, I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

By the way, what's your setup? The OS is installed on the mechanical drive? Not on the 30gb SSD?

MattyB

Apologies. I see how my comment was in no way helpful to you after the fact. I'm glad you got good service from Dell.

You could have tried checking for bad sectors using any uitility provided by the hard drive manufacturer. But since DELL is shipping you a new hard drive, I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

By the way, what's your setup? The OS is installed on the mechanical drive? Not on the 30gb SSD?
I have (had) the OS and all my files on the 750 gb HDD and the SSD was used for cache
its the confiuration that came with the pc qhen I bought it
this time I' going to install win 7 (or 8.. still don't know which one) on the SSD and alle the rest in the HDD
also because by the end of the school year I am going to buy 2 sets of 8gb of ram and a new SSD (256gb) and place it instead of the HDD which I will then place instead of the DVD stuff...

AeonSoul

I see, just doublecheck if you will still be able to use the 30gb SSD to cache if you install the OS on it, I'm not too savvy on the chaching matter.

Ok now I'm really confused
I removed the "broken" hard disk from the m14x
Just to check if it was really broken I took an external hard drive that I had at home, removed its hard disk and put in my 750gb. ..
Well... it works...
I can see all the files etc etc
So why on hell did the diagnostic gave me error on the hard disk?
Could it be instead the cables used to connect the hard disk to the motherboard?

AeonSoul

Maybe there's some kind of error or bad sectors in the hard drive that would keep it from booting the OS. If you can grab your data, just do that and save all your important files and then try to check for bad sectors using some kind of utility.
What model is the hard drive provided to you by DELL (the one you just removed)?

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Back your files up now that you can access them. You still don't know if the drive is good yet. You could have a corrupt MBR, to little info atm.

Although I didn't do a backup I'm lucky that all my important files I have them on the cloud
So no important data has been lost
Do you know any utility that can help me find the errors
Btw it doesn't need to require a lot of ram or a powerfully processor because the only working pc I have at home is a eee pc which I hate xD

- - - - - Updated - - - - -

ah... the "broken" HDD is a seagate momentus 750gb 7200 rpm with firmware = 0005DEM1

- - - - - Updated - - - - -

hi guys
just wanted to tell you that the new HDD has arrived and that right now im installing the OS
I have a few questions
1) shloud I intall win 7 or 8? (the problem is that I don't know if they updated the drivers for win 8)
2) which drivers should I install first? (it may seem a stupid question but I had problems with the GPU when doing my first clean install of win 7 after format... infact I installed first the driver for the nvidia graphics card instead of the one for the intel..)
thanks for everything :)