test

hard drives configuration

Martina

Hello, I have a little problem with my Alienware 14 .... so far I had never formatted an alienware ...
I bought it with Windows 8 and after formatting, I installed Windows 10.
Having seen an infinite number of hard disk partitions, I decided to delete them all and keep only one. The computer became ridiculously slow and so I did some research, and, if I understand correctly, I made a serious mistake in deleting partitions because (correct me if I'm wrong) I should have lost the virtual connection between the two hard drives, which allowed better performance in terms of speed.
My hard drives are these:
1TB / 5400 RPM + 80G mSATA
and I'd like to go back to the original configuration.
Looking online I saw that there are two types of configuration, the RAID one and the one that uses the 80 gb SSD as cache, but which one I had by default? Do you know if there is a guide to reset it? Or would someone kindly help me and tell me how I can do?
Besides, I tried to go back to Windows 8, only because I initially believed that the slowness of the PC depended on the new operating system, but I was unable to install it because the list of partitions was completely empty!
My intention, however, would be to switch to Windows 10 because I would like to install Revit 2021 which requires the latter operating system ...
I really hope you can help me and thanks in advance!

MattyB

You'll need to reinstall the Intel RST driver and software. Then you can open the program and re-enable acceleration so that the small mSata can be used as a cache again.
I usually go straight to Intel to get the driver/software package. There are a few options to choose from so you may have to try a few before finding the one that allows acceleration.
Link below

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

MattyB

Or, buy a decent sized (250/500gb) mSata SSD and remove the 80gb drive. Swap your BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI and install Windows onto the mSata using a USB flash drive and the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

Martina

First of all, thanks for the replies! Actually I forgot to add that the speed of my computer before formatting was ok for me, the one I reached with the default settings and because of this, I would just like to restore everything as it was before

MattyB

Then install Intel RST driver and software. If you install the correct one then you will get the option to enable acceleration when you open the program.