Clock Speed 2.0GHz
L2 Cahce Size 256

Graphics Card
Intel(R) HD Graphics Family 3845.9296875MB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3072MB - Running Driver: 310.90

Memory
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 8GB, 2X4G, 1600MHZ, DDR3

Everything is currently up to date.

Here is my issue, My GPU idles at around 70 C. When i play any type of video game it be Battlefield 3 or Minecraft my temps get up to around 88 C. to 93 C. untop of that no matter what game i'm playing i cannot seem to get good FPS at all no matter how low the games graphics are set too. Tera Online for example at the lowest setting is unplayable as i get around 5 FPS. Wizardry Online which i know requires very little system specs can hardly run at a solid frame rate. No matter what game i play i have never seen anything higher then 20 Frames which only lasts a few moments normally when i'm not doing anything in game... i.e standing still.

Also i would like to point out that yes i'm forcing all of my games to be ran on the GT 555m GPU which i also have the Nvidia icon on my task bar to display when games are running on the GPU.

I have no idea as to what to do as i have tried everything i could think off. I also use a cooler master cooling pad as well as a very powerfull mini fan that i keep behind my laptop aimed across the back.

The only thing i have not done is repaste the CPU and GPU, but honestly will this bring my temps down from 88-93 enough to be in the safe range and also will this even help improve my games FPS?

AeonSoul

If your GPU idles around 70C then there's a problem, it's not supposed to be that high. Try to reseat it and repaste it, that should probably fix it.
There are videos on youtube on how to do so, I'm at work now so I cannot check tho.

AeonSoul

Well for starters it will lower your temps, making so that the GPU will not get closer to the throttle soil, and it will also improve the lifespan of your GPU.
But the again, temps are not supposed to be that high during an idle state, so even if it doesn't improve them that much, I strongly suggest you do it anyway, otherwise you might find yourself with a dead GPU in no time.

yikes81

It should improve the gaming experience.

When you GPU gets that hot, it throttles back performance in an attempt to cool down. So the cooler it is, the more it can perform.

Sent via Tapatalk

Kloaked

Are you sure that's the GPU temperature and not the CPU temperature? I'm not doubting you, just making sure.

yikes81

The GPU works in the same way as the CPU. They just do different calculations.

Sent via Tapatalk

Kloaked

The GPU works in the same way as the CPU. They just do different calculations.

Sent via Tapatalk

Right, but I think any temperature software would be able to calculate the temps for both the GPU and CPU.

The 555M gets super hot anyways, so repasting would be a necessity if it hasn't been repasted before by now.

Crimson

I just got my Alien back together after a long tear down in order to reapply the thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. First time ever working on a laptop. I will take apart 100 desktops before i ever take apart my alien any day......

I only had it up and running for about 20 mins now and so far it seems good, i don't have solid temps yet to go off but i'm sure once the compound cures the temps will be more easily identifiable. As it stands now tho i have not seen the 50 C. yet in idle i'm going to give it a few hours before i put heavy load on the chips just for my own personal peace of mind.

And yes that was my GPU's temps, as i don't have the software currently installed to display my CPU temps i do not know what kind of temps i was getting (or getting) before i did the repaste, maybe its better that way. I'll download Core Temp or something to keep and eye on my CPU going forward.

I'll update on gaming temps once i get one running, most likely sometime tomorrow. Wish me luck guys and a big shout out to all the members here as i found all the information needed right here! Also thanks to everyone whom posts in this thread!

Last edited:

MattyB

Sounds good so far! Good luck with the testing. I'm glad you got it all back together without any troubles.

Crimson

Played games for most of the day without having the GPU or CPU temps rise above 60 C. Ideal temps for both GPU and CPU on average are about 35-40 C. If i'm browsing the web, YouTube or Twitch live streams all in 1080p the temps never go above 45 C.

I would say the Average Temps while gaming are around 50-55 C. I'm very pleased with the results. Again thank you everyone here at alienowners.com!

Maelstrom

Since were talking about the M14x and temperatures... Has anyone noticed that some of the cores run a little hotter than the other ones?

I'll just put an example of what's happening on my machine.

Core 1 will run at X degrees.
Core 2 will run at X - 2 degrees.
Core 3 will run at X - 4 degrees.
Core 4 will run at X - 6 degrees.

This tends to happen no matter what load I put under the system. Core 1 is always at the highest temperature and Core 4 is always at the lowest temperature with 2 and 3 in between.

My guess would either be that it has something to do with the actual core positions inside the processor or that the thermal paste is unevenly distributed. What do you guys think?

Oh, and the each core always shows to have about the same load as the other cores.

Crimson

The reason why your CPU cores are displaying different temperatures is because they are not always being used at the same time. Core0 being your main core will always be at the highest temp over the others. You'll never really see all the cores at the same temps however they shouldn't be extremely far apart in temps.