HDD Bad sectors

AeonSoul

Seo today I started the Alien Autopsy utility, and I found this out:
Untitled-1.jpg
Which is basically saying that there were flound 221511680 errors that made the sector unusable.
I won't say I'm scared right now, but yes I am.
Moreover, if I try to launch the test, AlienAutopsy just crashes.

How do I deal with that? Do I need to worry as much as I'm worrying right now or should I worry more?

AeonSoul

Ok I'm puzzled now, Window's checkdisk and Seagate SeaTool utility for HDD didn't found any bad sector, how can that be possible? Oo

PhoenixBennu

its unlikely, but always possible that the bad sectors may have been a fluke. I have known systems to give false info, or read something incorrectly. So what I would do is run the checks again. Honestly, bad sectors are not really an issue, because the OS usually just avoids so sectors. What is the issue is why there are bad sectors. Could be corrupted, could be mechanical failure. Its just a concern that whatever caused those bad sectors may cause others and eventually the whole drive.

Regardless of the other readings, I would definitely back up your information. I recommend external hard drives, as they have sync programs to back everything up, can store windows images on them, etc. Definitely make sure things are synced above all else.

AeonSoul

its unlikely, but always possible that the bad sectors may have been a fluke. I have known systems to give false info, or read something incorrectly. So what I would do is run the checks again. Honestly, bad sectors are not really an issue, because the OS usually just avoids so sectors. What is the issue is why there are bad sectors. Could be corrupted, could be mechanical failure. Its just a concern that whatever caused those bad sectors may cause others and eventually the whole drive.

Regardless of the other readings, I would definitely back up your information. I recommend external hard drives, as they have sync programs to back everything up, can store windows images on them, etc. Definitely make sure things are synced above all else.
Well you know, I run 2 or 3 times Windows chkdsk with /R and /F, and I used once SeaTools utility for Seagate hard drives. None of them found any bad sectors or corrupted data. Got a pass on every test. I'm planning to run one more test tonight with the DOS version of SeaTools which is supposed to find and repair any bad sectors, althrough at this point I'm prone to think that it will be just a waste of time.

My important data is always backed up anyway, and about Windows it's not really a big deal.

AeonSoul

Well yesterday I ran another test on my HDD from a bootable utility, and again 0 errors or bad sectors, so I'm thinking it might be a false positive. Could this, in some way, be related to the fact that I upgraded the HDD firmware?