Hdmi-in

dnvr.dsz

Just Being Curious About The HDMI-IN Port In M17x & M18x, What Is It For? :confused:

calric

think of it like a tv's hdmi slot; whatever you plug into it you can see it on your machine's screen. so a ps3, your blueray player. i've used mine to plug another computer with an hdmi video card doing some trouble shooting.

very usefull

yikes81

Im going to plug my PS3 into mine. Then I can use the 3D monitor on my M17x to play/watch 3D titles.

calric

yes; there is an hdmi out as well....also an hdmi in. so yes, you can connnect it to your TV. and also connect something to it using hdmi.
and sound travels over the hdmi.

And if you have the wireless transmitter setup you can dual screen it; send something to your tv and also play something on your screen at the same time. I am not sure if that would be the case with the hdmi though...

the hdmi in is on the right side; the hdmi out is on the left side.

yikes81

Well, my M17x screen supports 3D. But in regards to using an external screen, I think its only Nvidia that has the 3D tech. ATI has the eyefinity tech. So as long as you have an Nvidia GPU, then you should be able to purchase a 3D screen with the pair of glasses and it should work.

calric

Well, my M17x screen supports 3D. But in regards to using an external screen, I think its only Nvidia that has the 3D tech. ATI has the eyefinity tech. So as long as you have an Nvidia GPU, then you should be able to purchase a 3D screen with the pair of glasses and it should work.
im not sure if the 3d travels over the hdmi (im pretty sure it would if you have a 3d tv as well) i know you can do it over the wireless transmitter; so im guessing you probably could with the hdmi. i dont have 3d so i guess something for you to try out if you have a 3d tv.

BlackJair

With the HDMI port, yes. VGA port supports 720p as long i can remember, but HDMI port support 1080p. Is just a luxury to have, because not many games or movies uses that resolution.

yikes81

Hold-up...you mean if i get a monitor i can set it up with my M17x?!

You should be able to do this already with the VGA connection. I'm pretty sure all lappy's now a days all come with VGA, so its a common connection to have to allow a larger monitor to be added for use.

yikes81

im not sure if the 3d travels over the hdmi (im pretty sure it would if you have a 3d tv as well) i know you can do it over the wireless transmitter; so im guessing you probably could with the hdmi. i dont have 3d so i guess something for you to try out if you have a 3d tv.

It should work, as long as you have an Nvidia card, a 3D screen of any type, and a "high-speed" HDMI cable. The reason I say "high-speed" is only that they guarantee the connection, as it has been tested before packaging. The non-high speed cables should work, but the companies do not guarantee it.

durbin209

You should be able to do this already with the VGA connection. I'm pretty sure all lappy's now a days all come with VGA, so its a common connection to have to allow a larger monitor to be added for use.
Hmmm. ill have to try it out ^^

durbin209

How do I get both moniters to interact with eachother? like the mouse will go from on screen to the other?

novasti

Are you guys saying that you have to have the 3D option to use the HDMI functionality to leverage another flat screen? I'm hoping to use my 27" iMac as a second screen but I opted for the non-HD screen for my M17(which hasn't arrived yet, so I can't test yet).

novasti

Well, I saw several posts that hinted that 3D might be needed, so I thought I'd ask.

AeonSoul

Help me understand, what exactly are you trying to do? Plug in a second monitor in the laptop so you can use 2 of them? If so 3d doesn't have anything to do with that :)

novasti

Help me understand, what exactly are you trying to do? Plug in a second monitor in the laptop so you can use 2 of them? If so 3d doesn't have anything to do with that :)
Just as my post stated:

"I'm hoping to use my 27" iMac as a second screen but I opted for the non-HD screen for my M17(which hasn't arrived yet, so I can't test yet)."

I meant non-3D, not non-HD, BTW.

I know it can be done, as there is another owner on a different forum that's doing it. As stated above, I got confused with someone's post (which is above) about 3D. I was asking for clarification...that is all.