test

HDMI vs DVI

Orcvader

Hi!

As I await the arrival of my x51 (damn Dell takes forever! 2 weeks? Really?!), I was wondering if anyone can think of an advantage of using the HDMI over DVI connection? I know technically they are the same (besides DVI not carrying audio signal), but you never know... Maybe someone has heard of any bugs or issues using the HDMI.

Since I bought a super think HP monitor and small surround system I plan to just use DVI and the mini (audio) for sound.

Any thoughts?

VagrantXeth

The only advantage I would see is the audio capabilities using HDMI, if you plan to use your X51 as a HTPC, but I could be wrong. I use mine mainly as a desktop, but with Steam's Big Picture mode, I have fiddled around with using it on my 55 inch TV and it works great.

Maelstrom

I've never heard any issues coming from using HDMI over DVI or Visa Versa.

LW_Black4

HDMI carries audio, is the only difference. If you're going to run a video output which also has sound - like a TV or a monitor with speakers, HDMI is better because it carries both.

Usually the computer - which has the speakers - and the monitor are in the same room, so it doesn't really matter. If you ran the monitor elsewhere, like upstairs, and the sound was coming from the computer room, it wouldn't be right.

Orcvader

What I thought... Thanks guys.

I'll probably do the DVI since the sound is going through the speaker set I bought and not the monitor speakers.

Now that Big Picture mode does sound intriguing... Maybe in the future...

Commy1

HDMI vs DVI is:
A: Audio signal
B: DVI Digital is the only cable that can carry 120hz capable connections. Something you need if you have a 120hz screen and want to see the wonder that is 120 fps.

Orcvader

HDMI vs DVI is:
A: Audio signal
B: DVI Digital is the only cable that can carry 120hz capable connections. Something you need if you have a 120hz screen and want to see the wonder that is 120 fps.

Thanks guys...

Commy1 - Thanks for the bit abut DVI - D being 120hz, I actually did not know that! Thanks again...

However, 120hz is actually 60FPS, not 120FPS.... For progressive images, 2 images make a frame, so 120 / 2 = 60fps. But definitely you are right in that 120hz looks nicer!

Unfortunately my new monitor does not support the frequency:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/hp-x2301-micro-thin/4505-3174_7-35001762.html

Still a decent Monitor for the price!

MattyB

However, 120hz is actually 60FPS, not 120FPS.... For progressive images, 2 images make a frame, so 120 / 2 = 60fps. But definitely you are right in that 120hz looks nicer!

Quick query. When playing Skyrim on my M17x which has a 60hz screen I get 60fps but when I play it on my desktop with my 120hz screen it goes straight up to 120fps.
Does this mean that even though its saying its running at 120fps, my eyes are only seeing 60fps and only 30fps on the M17x?
I know nothing about monitors sorry.

Maelstrom

Hz simply means frequency. FPS is just a more specific frequency that refers to screen frame rates. So 60HZ means that the frame updates with a frequency of 60 per second which is the same as 60FPS.

EDIT: Also, for those of you that are wondering, the eye takes in information at about 60Hz. So anything above 60FPS is redundant. If you can I would actually limit the frame rate to about 70-75FPS so because you can't really see the difference for anything higher.

DOUBLE EDIT: The reason for limiting the FPS is to reduce the stress on your GPU, nothing more. The less it works the longer it lasts right?

Orcvader

Quick query. When playing Skyrim on my M17x which has a 60hz screen I get 60fps but when I play it on my desktop with my 120hz screen it goes straight up to 120fps.
Does this mean that even though its saying its running at 120fps, my eyes are only seeing 60fps and only 30fps on the M17x?
I know nothing about monitors sorry.

You know... Maybe I was wrong then. I was going with "off the too of my head" info there so now you are making me research. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

doraemon

X51 uses nVidia Optimus Technology.

That means something like the computer is able to use the nVidia GTX660 GPU when playing 3D games, and will disconect it when doing not 3D task (like I guess waching videos) and will switch to the intel's graphic card built-in inside the Ivy bridge chipset. In fact our X51 has two graphics cards inside. lowering power comsumption, heat and noise when doing 2D tasks.

I'm not sure were I've readed it, But I think this characteristic is only posiible ussing the HDMI connector, can anyone comfirm this ?

(when I say HDMI connector I mean the HDMI who is built in the computer, not the mini HDMI who is built in the graphics card)

bveld

In the X51 quick start guide it says "NOTE: It is recommended that you connect the display to the integrated HDMI connector to enable intelligent graphics switching".

However, after searching the net I could not find anything about "nVidia Optimus Technology" working only with HDMI. On the other hand, above seems to suggest this.

Anybody knows more on this?

sway

You don't need nvidia optimus in the x51 bc it's a desktop and doesn't need to save battery, if your into saving the planet by reducing energy then id see it being useful.

tappin from the Nexus

for me i like the hdmi because apparently its faster or so says the guy at best buy, but go with wat u would like ther both equally good in my opinion

sway

for me i like the hdmi because apparently its faster or so says the guy at best buy, but go with wat u would like ther both equally good in my opinion

I worked at bb, trust me when i say this, hardly anyone knows anything accurately there. There are a few and proud.

tappin from the note ll

Last edited:
Ik wat u mean some guy told me at best buy that an i3 and i5 are practically the same, but the guy who told me about the hdmi was an IT guy who builds websites for a living

SkoolGDK

The DVI is better quality video (graphics) and quickly gives audio but you would have to connect speakers to x51 in return gives the HDMI audio and video but is less fast and video quality of low bit.

Orcvader

I worked at bb, trust me when i say this, hardly anyone knows anything accurately there. There are a few and proud.

tappin from the note ll

Worked there too, in another life, and agree with you wholeheartedly!

Anyways... I went with DVI and directed audio to a small HP surround system they had on sale in Black Friday online. It's all good now...

:)

Thanks!

dvi i like better for more type of monitors screens like triple display setups. but hdmi is much better for tv etc