Heat problems?

Reiny

Nov 21, 2021
Czechia
Hi everyone,

i swapped my Alienware 17 R4 for this Area 51M with my friend. I had no issues whatsoever on 17 R4 (considering gaming), with heating. It went up to 70-80 degrees and the games ran perfectly with no fps drop.

On this Area 51M, i've tried Horizon New Dawn and Far Cry 6 on high/ultra settings and everything was just fine. Yesterday i installed Call of Duty Vanguard and after 20 minutes of playing the laptop completely shut down. (It wasn't as hot as 17 R4) When i started the laptop back the bios showed me this.

20211120_095601.jpg

Therefore i tried disconnecting the battery and play only with my 2 power adaptors. Combined Watt is 510 which i'm sure is enough. After 5 minutes of playing i got a black screen and couldn't do anything but hard reset.

It's hard for me to imagine that laptop with this setup wouldn't be able to run newest games. I even tried to lower the settings, still didn't help.

Today i've tried to run Far Cry 6 and the laptop is heated more than the last time and i got fps drops, which didn't happen after playing for 4 hours without break before.

I also noticed that the battery is a little blown up, not sure if this is how it's supposed to be, but i'm thinking not.
20211120_111830.jpg

The inside of laptop seems pretty clean so there is no dust cover to prevent the laptop from cooling. I'm also considering to repaste the cpu, but it showed battery overheating problems. Should i buy a new battery or am i just doomed to not be able to play new games?

I don't think that 70-80 degrees should be a problem, as i have experience with my 17 R4 and these are operational temperatures. But on the battery it states maximum 65 degrees.

Thank you for any insights on this problem.

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
The battery is swollen and need to be removed ASAP. I think the temperature issue you're having could be due to the battery temps and not the CPU/GPU. Remove the battery and discard of it properly. Then try running the laptop just from the power adapters and see how it performs.
You will definitely have to replace the battery unless you're happy to only use the laptop plugged in.

Reiny

Nov 21, 2021
Czechia
Hi sorry for the late response, but even with the disconnected battery i tried out Death Stranding with low settings. The game runs for about 5s and laptop completely shuts down. It's hard for me to imagine that at this quality the power wouldn't suffice. The battery is ordered but it will take a week or two.