test

Hello! And question....

suckerv

Hello everyone! Complete noob here, both to this site and to DIY computer upgrades in general. I had a question that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

I bought an Alienware Aurora in 2009 (just the base unit). I haven't done much upgrading with it other than adding an additional 12 GB of DDR3 RAM to it.

Recently, my mobo got fried and I've had to replace it. I purchased an ASUS Rampage III Gene mobo, which is currently being installed right now. I've dabbled a little bit with overclocking, but I hear that the Rampage III Gene is awesome for overclocking, especially since it comes with ROG Connect.

So my question is twofold:

1) What's the best way of adding some fans to my case? I just have to standard case, not the ALX, and if I'm going to be pushing my processor and GPU a bit, I'd like to insure that my rig is properly ventilated. I was thinking of maybe just leaving the case open and making sure it's clean about once a week?

2) I've looked everywhere, and I can't seem to find what kind of power supply my computer has. From what I understand, with the overclocking and new mobo, I might want to consider a beefier power supply. Does anyone happen to know what power supply came standard with the base Aurora units circa 2009-2010? And what type of power supply should I be looking into if I want to upgrade?

ASUS Rampage III Gene mobo
Intel i7 920 X58 Express processor
18 GB RAM
GTX 260 video card (eventually to be two 260s via SLI)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

holeyguy66

you rig should ither have a 525 watt psu or an 875 . i would swap out to the 875 if you dont have it. 2 theres a thread on here where me and diesel added stand alone fane controllers to run extra fans. one one on the radiator along with the one the command center runs one directly infront of our gpus and i have an extra down in the psu area to help push air up to the bottom gpu. the title to that thread is aurora adventures i believe. and for upgrading gpus id swap out the nvidia for amd. dont get me wrong i love nvidia but right now they are a bit rich for me.

suckerv

you rig should ither have a 525 watt psu or an 875 . i would swap out to the 875 if you dont have it. 2 theres a thread on here where me and diesel added stand alone fane controllers to run extra fans. one one on the radiator along with the one the command center runs one directly infront of our gpus and i have an extra down in the psu area to help push air up to the bottom gpu. the title to that thread is aurora adventures i believe. and for upgrading gpus id swap out the nvidia for amd. dont get me wrong i love nvidia but right now they are a bit rich for me.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

MattyB

I have just bought pretty much the same Aurora as you have off Ebay as a project. I haven't received it yet though. Is yours an ALX? I will be looking to see what upgrades you do. My motherboard will be the original one so that's the only real difference. I am pretty much a 'noob' at this stuff too. Keep us updated as to what you do to it. I just ordered a GTX 670 to replace the 260. I will start looking at replacing the other parts soon and maybe getting a second 670.

suckerv

I have just bought pretty much the same Aurora as you have off Ebay as a project. I haven't received it yet though. Is yours an ALX? I will be looking to see what upgrades you do. My motherboard will be the original one so that's the only real difference. I am pretty much a 'noob' at this stuff too. Keep us updated as to what you do to it. I just ordered a GTX 670 to replace the 260. I will start looking at replacing the other parts soon and maybe getting a second 670.

Will do! No, mine is not an ALX...although I wish it was since I feel like I could use the extra ventilation. The only thing I've done so far is beef up my RAM and add a second hard drive (it was a leftover one from my PS3; I figured I could use the spare 120 GB...lol).

Like I mentioned before, I'm getting an ASUS Rampage III Gene mobo installed as we speak, and am looking to either add a second GTX 260 via SLI, or upgrade to something like a 560, depending on what's easier on my wallet. Either way, I think I'm going to need to beef up the power supply.

But yeah, I'll keep you posted! Glad I'm not the only noob on here...lol

MattyB

I have learnt heaps over the past 6 months here on Alienowners. Ask questions and the guys and girls here will help you out.

I will have a spare GTX 260 I could let go of very cheap if you want one :D

suckerv

I have learnt heaps over the past 6 months here on Alienowners. Ask questions and the guys and girls here will help you out.

I will have a spare GTX 260 I could let go of very cheap if you want one :D

How much are you asking?

So the guys at my local Geek Squad completely wussed out an refused to install my new mobo....not all that geeky, if you ask me...lol.

Anyhow, there's a local computer guy that's apparently awesome, so I'm taking my rig to him on Monday. I'll let you guys know how everything works out.

I'm comfy installing other things, but for some reason, messing with the mobo and CPU freak me out.....

MattyB

How much are you asking?

So the guys at my local Geek Squad completely wussed out an refused to install my new mobo....not all that geeky, if you ask me...lol.

Anyhow, there's a local computer guy that's apparently awesome, so I'm taking my rig to him on Monday. I'll let you guys know how everything works out.

I'm comfy installing other things, but for some reason, messing with the mobo and CPU freak me out.....

I'm not sure. I haven't looked up what they're worth. I'm sure they're not much. Where do you live?

I only bought it off Ebay a few days ago and its coming from the UK so I won't get it for another week or so.

I will let you know if it works when I get it.

I can't believe thay wouldn't install your board! Weak! I'm going to give it a go in the next few months and I've never done it before.

holeyguy66

man geeksquad is a joke first of all. the name geeksquad is just misleading. ive made them walk away with what little knowladge i have. and i love it when they bash alienware thats when i ask what they got and show mine off. one of our local geek squad workers here boasted he spent 3 gs on a self built rig. i showed him my aurora and he laughed till i told him monitors and all this rig cost me 1770. needless to say he shut up. but the mobos are a sinch to install and for the cpus just be careful not to bend the pins. ill tell you like i told a guy at work. theres only one way to learn your rig and thats to get hands on with it.

suckerv

man geeksquad is a joke first of all. the name geeksquad is just misleading. ive made them walk away with what little knowladge i have. and i love it when they bash alienware thats when i ask what they got and show mine off. one of our local geek squad workers here boasted he spent 3 gs on a self built rig. i showed him my aurora and he laughed till i told him monitors and all this rig cost me 1770. needless to say he shut up. but the mobos are a sinch to install and for the cpus just be careful not to bend the pins. ill tell you like i told a guy at work. theres only one way to learn your rig and thats to get hands on with it.

Yeah, I know. In all honesty, i could probably do it myself with no problems; I'm pretty handy. But I'm just paranoid, you know? Mobos are expensive, and this is my work computer...I'd just rather not take any chances. Now, once my laptop dies, I'll probably use that as practice...lol

suckerv

Am I going to need to reinstall Windows after the mobo is installed? As far as I know, none of my data was harmed when my original mobo fried....