Hello, just introducing myself to your club. Just ordered a Alienware 14 :D

Soko

Oct 21, 2013
UK
I used to own a M11x R3, loved it to bits, but wanted something with a little more juice. Spent ages like some of you guys I am sure deciding between the 14,17 and the 18, but finally plumped with the 14 as it looked more portable.

Anyway, will be looking at the best ways of maximizing my new Alienware 14 as I want to also get rid of my desktop as it is too big so will be getting involved in discussions where I can! :D

Oh, my specs are:

i7-4800MQ
16GB DDR3
GTX 765M
750gb HD (7200RPM)

So my first question is, I didnt go for the SSD as it was an extra £200~, can I put one in myself? and if so, is it easy to do?

Soko

Oct 21, 2013
UK
Thanks!

I should get one before my laptop arrives so I can slot it in. 2 more questions then:

Can I keep the 750gb HD in there too, or do I have to replace it with the SSD?

Any suggestions for a SSD? I don't want to spend too much :)

Soko

Oct 21, 2013
UK
You can keep the HD in it. Better to have the boot OS tho thru SSD. Go for 250gb SSD or greater.
There are lot of suggestions out there. Some the good ones are Samsung SSD, etc. mine is SanDisk

Ye, I would be putting the OS on the SSD, and possibly Steam on there with some games, although I think that would fill it, so will try to find a way of putting some Steam games on the SSD and some on the HD.

I am guessing any SSD will fit?

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Both seem well priced, which one should i go for?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-SV300S37A-240G-Adapter/dp/B00A1ZTZNM/ref=sr_1_17?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1382426550&sr=1-17&keywords=sata+solid+state+drive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT240M500SSD1-2-5-inch-240GB-Internal/dp/B00BQ8RM1A/ref=sr_1_23?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1382426550&sr=1-23&keywords=sata+solid+state+drive

Soko

Oct 21, 2013
UK
You will most likely need an mSata SSD if you want to keep your HDD too. That's what I have in my 14. You will have to lose you optical drive if you want another 2.5 inch drive.

I do not really care about my Optical drive, although useful to reinstall Windows on. Is mSata more expensive/fiddly? and if I do decide to replace my optical drive, is that hard?

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I have never done it before but you will need a special caddy to sit the SSD in. I would go with the mSata. It's pretty simple. There is an easily accessible port for it inside your machine. Optical drives aren't as useful as they once were but it's handy to have it there. May as well use the spare port. A 256gb mSata is around the same cost as a standard SSD. The Crucial one seems to be popular.

Soko

Oct 21, 2013
UK
I have never done it before but you will need a special caddy to sit the SSD in. I would go with the mSata. It's pretty simple. There is an easily accessible port for it inside your machine. Optical drives aren't as useful as they once were but it's handy to have it there. May as well use the spare port. A 256gb mSata is around the same cost as a standard SSD. The Crucial one seems to be popular.

Thank you.

Just looking at mSatas. Is it worth me paying the extra to go 256 rather then 128? (double the price)..... Considering I will have to put my whole Steam catalog on the HD, the mSata will only really have the OS on. Or is there other things I should put on it?

Soko

Oct 21, 2013
UK
Oh and you will probably have to find yourself a screw for the mSata. Don't think they give you one in the machine or when you get the card. Hopefully they come with them these days though.

Thanks for all your advice.

I did notice that some of the reviews of the cards said that there was no screw supplied. Strange, but I guess every penny counts for companies!

Thanks! Jealous of your 780 though

Wish the 14 could fit it!

Yes the 780 is very nice but it requires a 17 inch chassis or bigger to get the required cooling and air flow. To be honest, the spec I bought was stupidly expensive even with 2 voucher codes! But you only buy something like this every now and again so I thought what the hell and just specced it right up! I have to admit that I closed my eyes and gulped as I clicked the "place order" button though!

Soko

Oct 21, 2013
UK
I have had the laptop over the weekend, and reinstalled Windows on it so I am running stock Windows and not the Dell version (i.e. with only their drivers) and it runs like a dream. Really happy.

Get 60+ FPS on Call of Duty BO2 at Max settings, around 40 FPS on Far Cry 3 on High and around 50-60 FPS on WoW in ultra. Also, relieved to find out that the fan noise is not as bad as some of the reviews, I do not hear it at all.