test

Hello! New to Alienware, could use some advice on upgrading my Aurora R4, thanks!

DanG69AuroraR3

edit: I have a Aurora R4, not the R3, sorry.

So I bought me one beast of a computer this year for 400 bucks! When I got it it wasnt recognizing one SATA drive, but worked well otherwise. Then last month I had a black screen (initialized library failed 0xc00000bb) and from what I can tell, I need 2 new SATA drives and another copy of an operating system. I'm really wondering what my options are. Should I replace the two SATA drives with SSD drives? Just replace the SATA drives? Add a SDD in SATA bay 1 and 2 SATA drives in bays 2 and 3? Also, was the Aurora R3 shipped with a one graphics card option? (Mine only had one card when I bought it used) Or did the previous owner remove a card? (A note on the cables implied that a 525 watt power supply wouldnt power a second graphics card, so maybe that was an option, I dont know). Anyway, any help would be appreciated, I really like this machine and wouldnt mind upgrading it. Thanks, Daniel

Last edited:

LukeG310

Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum. If I where you I would do the following.

1. The error sounds like its from the BIOS being reset. Get another battery, you can get them cheap online
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CMOS-CR2032-Bios-UEFI-Battery-Computer-Motherboard-System-Board-Main-3V-Lithium/281261143990?hash=item417c7877b6:g:u6kAAOSwoQ1Tng~U:rk:9:pf:0

2.Get at least a 250gb Solid State Drive to install the operating system. You will notice the computer work a lot faster. The SSD will need a housing cage. This will be SATA Drive 1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-2-5-SSD-to-3-5-Bay-Hard-Drive-HDD-Mounting-Dock-Tray-Bracket-Adapter/121661001852?hash=item1c538f907c:g:oIYAAOSw4PxZ-q~x:rk:1:pf:0
3. Turn SATA drives 2-4 into raid for increased performance.

4. Stick with one graphics card. SLI/Crossfire is not optimized. Save some money and get yourself at least a Nvidia 1070ti or VEGA 56 if you like AMD better.

5. I would use a can of air blast and make sure any dust is clear, specially around the fans in the case.