Hello new X51 ordered

8*sectorb6

Nov 3, 2013
usa
I had my order placed on 10/30- it shipped 11/01..in route now!
I ordered the x51 base i5 with 760 1.5 gig gpu, and windows8.
Not sure if it comes with recovery os disc.

My questions are; after opening x51 and connecting all the cables and mouse keyboard,'
what should be my first steps in activating pc.. I want to update win8 to 8.1 do I do that first?

what steps do you suggest?

Thanks
8*

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Welcome and congrats on the new purchase!

You should get a recovery disk of some sort. I'm assuming they still send them out.

One of the first things to do would be to make sure your graphics driver is up to date. Get this from NVidia

I haven't updated my 14 to 8.1 yet but it's probably worth doing too.

mf9

Oct 19, 2013
London
I'm afraid you won't get a recovery disk. Well I didn't. I've recently upgraded mine with the 128gb SSD and a 760 GTX 4GB in place of the stock GTX 645 1GB.

I have to say my SSD upgrade did not go to plan and Dell ( via technical chat ) sent me via courier a free recovery memory stick that contained Windows 8, although minus some of the Alienware specific drivers which I then downloaded from the Dell website.

8*sectorb6

Nov 3, 2013
usa
Update. shipment attempted 11/6..not home delivered today 11/7/ yeah
plugged in turned on. No problems..win8 seems nice. All the big complaints had me a bit concerned..
no win8 restore disc, came with 2 cds x51 r2 resource dvd and cyberlink media essentials.

downloaded World of Tanks, and it ran great highest settings.

there is some heat coming from system, I need to get temp monitoring software.
my win8 score was 5.9 due to 7200 rpm hd,,mmm'
ram 7.7 processor 7.7
Graphics 7.8

Last edited:

mf9

Oct 19, 2013
London
CPU-Z & GPU-Z are good apps for monitor temps. However my favourite is MSI Afterburner ( works on non MSI cards too ) as they have a free iOS app ( and maybe Android ) where you can watch the temps and other levels on your iPhone/tablet whilst playing a game. But for sure your going to get heat coming out the back of your X51, it's expected. My GPU get's upto about 87c so far when under max load.

Don't forget too Win 8.1 has done away with the Windows experience index.

8*sectorb6

Nov 3, 2013
usa
ok,
Love this computer, the smell has dissipated. AlienRespawn works with win8 and it took 3 DvD's.
I DL gpu-z, and highest temp is 80c. I play world of tanks on 2nd highest setting 4 hour session.
GPU fan speed is running at 44 % @ 79-80c.
Wireless works great, its getting better speeds than my replaced Asus lt.

tx for replies

SFAlfaDude

Jun 25, 2013
UK
You will not regret it, I love my X51 r2, use it every day mainly with FL Studio for music production but games as well.....just about to upgrade to SSD as well!

AWESOME machine you will love it.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Interesting, when i asked Dell Tech chat about a recovery Win8 they told me I had to pay £20!

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
ok,
Love this computer, the smell has dissipated. AlienRespawn works with win8 and it took 3 DvD's.
I DL gpu-z, and highest temp is 80c. I play world of tanks on 2nd highest setting 4 hour session.
GPU fan speed is running at 44 % @ 79-80c.
Wireless works great, its getting better speeds than my replaced Asus lt.

tx for replies
Sometimes you get that smell with a new system untill its been used for a couple of days while it gets used to temps. Which it seems all yours was but if you keep getting thst smell get on to alienware as it could be the insides cooking