Help/Advice for Upgrade Graphics Card of X51 R2 i7-4770 16GB to support 3D Surround

SFAlfaDude

Hi all,
I am into iRacing and I currently have an X51 R2 that has the following core specs...

I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16GB RAM
NVidia GTX 670 2gb GDDR5

I have purchased 3 x 3D (27 inch) monitors and I need too confirm this existing GPU will run them in standard 2D and 3D surround. Looking at the NVidea site it looks to me like I cannot use the 3D Surround with the GTX 670 unless I add a second GTX 670 card which is not possible with the X51?

So the next question is, which card do I replace the GTX 670 with and most importantly will it fit in the X51 case and provide the desired 3 x 3D surround screens?

I really would appreciate any help owners have.

Thanks
Steve

SFAlfaDude

UPDATE....So the X51 as it stands does indeed support 2D Surround with the single GTX 670, I have also got it running with 3D Surround. The only issue seems to be the FPS rates which I know should drop by around half from 2D to 3D, however I am also finding that sometimes even in 2D the FPS is dropping occasionally to 30-40 FPS.

Looks like I have two options...
1. Transfer X51 together with upgrade of PSU (minimum of 850W I am thinking) and GPU (GTX 780Ti) to a new larger case.
2. Buy a new PC All together

Any thoughts guys and gals?

I see You

UPDATE....So the X51 as it stands does indeed support 2D Surround with the single GTX 670, I have also got it running with 3D Surround. The only issue seems to be the FPS rates which I know should drop by around half from 2D to 3D, however I am also finding that sometimes even in 2D the FPS is dropping occasionally to 30-40 FPS.

Looks like I have two options...
1. Transfer X51 together with upgrade of PSU (minimum of 850W I am thinking) and GPU (GTX 780Ti) to a new larger case.
2. Buy a new PC All together

Any thoughts guys and gals?
Transfer it all but the power board and light board you will thank yourself i did this with my R1 and its the best little machine now.

SFAlfaDude

Just for information, I did have my X51 R2 (i7 4770, 16GB) running with the single GTX 670 2GB card with my three x 27inch Acer 3d 144Hz/1ms monitors. In 2d surround i get anything between 45FPS (absolute lowest and rare) to 150+FPS. In 3D Surround it typically halves and to be honest even if you can get 60FPS it hurts your eyes after a few minutes.

So now to transplant the X51 motherboard, RAM and CPU to a new case ordered today, along with 750W Gold+ PSU and Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 4GB card so I hope this will improve things, at least a little!

KillerBee33

Just for information, I did have my X51 R2 (i7 4770, 16GB) running with the single GTX 670 2GB card with my three x 27inch Acer 3d 144Hz/1ms monitors. In 2d surround i get anything between 45FPS (absolute lowest and rare) to 150+FPS. In 3D Surround it typically halves and to be honest even if you can get 60FPS it hurts your eyes after a few minutes.

So now to transplant the X51 motherboard, RAM and CPU to a new case ordered today, along with 750W Gold+ PSU and Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 4GB card so I hope this will improve things, at least a little!
Big Mistake.....GTX 980 4GB fits perfectly in Original case No Need for all that and newer nVidias are comin'! with with lower Power consumption, meaning NO Need for larger power supply!!!

SFAlfaDude

Big Mistake.....GTX 980 4GB fits perfectly in Original case No Need for all that and newer nVidias are comin'! with with lower Power consumption, meaning NO Need for larger power supply!!!
I hear you, but I anticipate wanting to add a 2nd GTX 980 which will not be possible if it all stays in the X51 case!

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

I hear you, but I anticipate wanting to add a 2nd GTX 980 which will not be possible if it all stays in the X51 case!
Essentially although a lot of effort it will all go back into the X51 case rebuilt as shipped and the new case (when funds permit) will house a 2 or 3 way SLI GTX 980 config on new CPU, M/board etc. I know sounds crazy but I like to tinker!

Forgot to add, that I do not believe the particular Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming will fit in the X51, it is larger than reference! Hence move to new case in short term until I can afford the new motherboard, CPU, RAM etc and of course 1 or 2 extra GTX 980...of course by that time the new unit will not even be an Alienware unit!

But that said, I fully take on board your original point.

KillerBee33

Essentially although a lot of effort it will all go back into the X51 case rebuilt as shipped and the new case (when funds permit) will house a 2 or 3 way SLI GTX 980 config on new CPU, M/board etc. I know sounds crazy but I like to tinker!

Forgot to add, that I do not believe the particular Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming will fit in the X51, it is larger than reference! Hence move to new case in short term until I can afford the new motherboard, CPU, RAM etc and of course 1 or 2 extra GTX 980...of course by that time the new unit will not even be an Alienware unit!

But that said, I fully take on board your original point.

Get Reference Design Model Stock (reference Design looks like this--->http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980_13.jpg
Also......go to geforce.com and read thousands of people CRY about SLI Issues
Not a great idea But its Your Money ;)
i run gtx760TI OEM on X51 R2 , very happy with it i read guys with 2-3 TITANS dont get the performance of mine bcz there is no 100% support for SLI's...i suggest doin a research FIRST but again its YOUR money ;]

Also if u do decide to leave it in Your Original case ONLY...get STOCK GTX980 not OC or SC models

im in US and i cant buy GTX980 here for the POSTED $550 ....eBay and Amazon,Newegg and bunch of others eather OutOfStock or Pay some Douche-bag ov er 1000$ for it ill wait a bit till new shipments come in