Help making R4 quieter

robjamar

Hello, I just got a an Alienware R4 ALX a couple weeks of ago. Absolutely love how its built. Currently looking to make it more silent, if that's possible at all, since I leave it on sometimes at night (just downloading stuff, my internet is crappy) and want to make it as stealthy as possible since I we share rooms (don't look at me that way), I'm not saying its loud, actually its pretty quiet and all I want to do is improve this). Does anyone know where most of the sound comes from? Has anyone replaced any of the fans or added sound dampening to it? Any help or comments are appreciated.

holeyguy66

im assuming your talking about fan noise. the pci fan is a high performance fan. i pushs 110 cfm at 100% also the hdd fan isnt that quite either. at idle i have mine set to 35% thats pretty low key. i for one was considering changing all my stock fans to noctua fans. i have 3 of them on 2 of the radiators i installed with my last upgrade and love them. though i dont think they would be enough to cool these cases like dell designed them. and before you ask my aurora isnt so factory anymore hints why i said i had 2 radiators installed.

robjamar

Noctua is exactly what I'm looking at right now. I just don't know if they will make it any quieter. The HDD fan runs at 1% all the time and doesn't really ramp up even when under heave load, same with the PCI fan but that one stays at 35% instead of 1%

BTW I would to see a pic of your rig!

holeyguy66

is the system fan running loud you dont control it. the cc controls it if your radiator is dirty it can get loud. when i get home tomorrow i can record how loud mine is. my fan curves are 35 and 35. and thebfans you hear is the hdd and pci. the other three noctuas you cant nhear over them. by the way you dont have it set on auto do you.

robjamar

I don't think the system fan is loud, the recording would be great and everything is set on auto, haven't messed with it yet.

Playtime747

Mine is supper quiet. Using my S4 Galaxy to check the DB, it's not putting out more than 20dbz and that is running @ 4.6GHz with the phone on top of the case.. If noise is a issue, it may be something else wrong. :p

robjamar

holeyguy66 Pretty cool!

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Mine is supper quiet. Using my S4 Galaxy to check the DB, it's not putting out more than 20dbz and that is running @ 4.6GHz with the phone on top of the case.. If noise is a issue, it may be something else wrong. :p

I just checked with my Nexus 5 and its around 40db "quiet library" There must be something wrong. Also Im starting to notice a high frequency noise coming from it sometimes. Something like a dog whistle =/

crystal

In my opinion ===> I suppose you'll have to do a little research on that front. You will probably want to run them at 7 volts as well. No fan is completely quiet at 12 volts. Phantek as bigger airflow, BeQuiet is reputedly the quietest, Corsair somewhere in the middle?
buy.gif

RmeGi7

I have the ALX R4 with Dual 780's. It is EXTREMELY Quiet!! Did you mess with any of the settings in the command center?