test

help me buy a monitor

onlyme

Looking for a 24" monitor to go with my X51. Something costing around max price £150 / $200. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations.

The online magazine reviews all say the AOC, but also say the stand is awful, so I'm looking for something that a god mid-range option and not too expensive (having blown all my cash on the X51 !!!)

Thanks.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I'd go with a Dell monitor. They have better warranties and easier returns. 22" for $200 is probably where you are at. $300-$350 will get you in the 24" size.

sway

Newegg is where I got my Asus 23.5" for 180$

tappin from the Note II

yikes81

I like the BenQ range. It's pretty cheap and they have a zero dead pixel warranty.

Sent via Tapatalk

onlyme

No recommendations for Samsung ? Also, I saw that HP just launched some pretty good looking panels at a decent price.

sway

Since your budget was kinda low, Samsung doesn't really fit in that at all. There's better monitors for cheaper anyway.

tappin from the Note II

VagrantXeth

Got my son the border less AOC 27" model and the stand is not bad at all. I have heard that some folks do not like the stand but I personally think it is a matter of preference.

onlyme

I ended up buying the HP xi IPS monitor. It has just been release by HP and I was really swayed by the borderless design. Paid a little more than I really wanted (or had budgeted for), but I am really pleases with the result.

'VagrantXeth - I looked at the AOC and the LG borderless screens, I think the HP monitor uses the same screen - but in the end I liked the fact that the HP was silver not black. Very please with the quality of the screen, great resolution, good viewing angles, stable stand, the screen can be tilted for better viewing angles. Although the design is borderless, when switched on the screen does not go to edge of the glass but does show a border all way round.

Here's a couple of links, first to the HP site with the monitor and second to a You Tube video review of my monitor (not by me).

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...ortFAQ&prodSeriesId=3770740&prodTypeId=382087

You Tube Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPqiM2E0ATw

sway

That's pretty cool, like the borderless concept. Especially if you go multi monitor.

tappin from the Note II

yikes81

I ended up buying the HP xi IPS monitor. It has just been release by HP and I was really swayed by the borderless design. Paid a little more than I really wanted (or had budgeted for), but I am really pleases with the result.

'VagrantXeth - I looked at the AOC and the LG borderless screens, I think the HP monitor uses the same screen - but in the end I liked the fact that the HP was silver not black. Very please with the quality of the screen, great resolution, good viewing angles, stable stand, the screen can be tilted for better viewing angles. Although the design is borderless, when switched on the screen does not go to edge of the glass but does show a border all way round.

Here's a couple of links, first to the HP site with the monitor and second to a You Tube video review of my monitor (not by me).

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...ortFAQ&prodSeriesId=3770740&prodTypeId=382087

You Tube Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPqiM2E0ATw

That looks really nice. I have been looking for a monitor with the thinnest bezel as well.

onlyme

I'm based in the UK so I paid 149 UK pounds which I think is around 235 US Dollar. We usually pay a premium or a little more for stuff here in the UK usually because of taxes that are 20% in UK. That 149 includes the taxes.

'Yikes 81 - I can definitely recommend the HP screen if you want a borderless design, it just looks like a piece of glass suspended on a stand - no border at all. Obviously, when it's switched on there is a half inch border from the edge of the screen to the picture.

After a couple of days using it, I'm really pleased. I used out-of-the-box settings, which are fine, But I;m going to spend some time adjusting the screen to my preference and hope it will be even better.

The only very minor issues I'd say are the lack of cable clips on the back of the stand to keep the cables tidy and out of sight. The rear of the panel is also black not silver like the front - so it you don't have it placed against a wall (I don't) then it's black from the rear. This is a pity because I bought it partly for the sliver design. It's all very minor points though and I am very happy with this.

yikes81

Are you able to take a quick pic of the monitor when switched on?
I was looking into borderless monitors, and the AOC looked promising .... until it was switched on.

VagrantXeth

Wow, that is a nice looking monitor. Thinking of upgrading mine pretty soon and I will consider this one when it is time to select.

onlyme

Yikes - I posted a good you tube vid early in the thread that gives a really good impression of the monitor switched on and also in various modes, like game play, video play back etc. the vid was posted by a German guy, but it's in English and he does s really good job assessing the monitor.

Otherwise I can take some pics and post them, if want any particular aspects just let me know and I'll try to capture them

yikes81

Ah so you did. Sorry. I was just looking for pics. I forgot you put a link up.

JennyM

Ok, so reading above for some help with monitors, I think I've boobed getting a Toshiba 19inch tv instead of a monitor.

Here's the thing. I tend to buy Samsung Syncmaster, for TV and for monitors in the past - very impressed, love them. However, I wanted a small one to go on a bedtable, (a table on wheels that goes over your bed... I've to spend a lot of time lying down after a recent op.) to go with my x51 which I have on my bedside locker, and I don't want one too big as I reckon it might be more unstable?

The reason I went for a TV, was I don't have much room on the wee table for speakers. Tv's have inbuilt speakers, monitors don't.

So, anyhoo... back to the Toshiba. I got it from Amazon, so it could totally go back... it was advertised as High Definition, LED tv, 1366 x 768 screen resolution, 720p (don't know what that means). The colours are beautiful, but text is jagged and small writing is totally unreadable. I spent hours tweaking what could be tweaked, and still not getting the lovely sharp text I get on my Mx15 laptop screen. The Samsung syncmasters come on an oval stand so I'm loathe to go for that, as it might prove more unstable when I'm moving the table.

I've looked at that HP pavilion LED monitor, looks lovely, but no speakers and its a bit big.

Do any of you use televisions as monitors? If so, what resolution or pixels do I need, to be able to see lovely sharp writing?