test

Help me decide which X51 to get!!!

Ghettobird52

Hello all and just want to say thanks in advance for your help! So im in the need for a new computer upgrade. my computer for past 3-1/2 years is getting old and tired so i decided i wanted to look at alienware. The X51 grabbed my attention instantly.

Now my Computer needs are this, i do quite a bit of work here and there on my computer , (microsoft word, Adobe reader, Compressing photos, enlarging photos as well ) but i do play WoW (dont bash me) and a little SWTOR; old republic. I also play the Shooter Arma 2, and its Online mod Zombies. I might get into other games but for the most part it is just wow and work. So to me i think the X51 will work great for my needs....

Now onto the Models im looking at....

So i believe one of them is a First gen model or what ever you guys call it. With the I7-3770. Here is the first one specs.

Includes Alienware X51 desktop, AC power adapter, and manual
3.9GHz Intel Core i7-3770 processor with 8MB cache
Intel 6 Series H61 chipset
16GB memory
2TB hard drive
Slot-loading dual-layer Blu-ray reader drive (BD-ROM, DVD+/-RW, CD-RW)
Dell Wireless 1502 802.11n Wi-Fi
1.5GB NVIDIA GTX 660 graphics card
Internal high-definition 7.1 performance audio with Waves MaxxAudio
Alienware multimedia keyboard
Alienware optical mouse
10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet
Six USB 2.0 ports
Two USB 3.0 ports
HDMI 1.4a, RJ-45 ports
S/PDIF Toslink, coaxial digital outputs
Headphone/speaker/microphone jacks
Windows 8, 64-bit
30 days of McAfee Security Center
Measures approximately 3-3/4"W x 12-1/2"D x 13-1/2"H; weighs 12.1 lbs
UL listed adapter; 1-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Made in China

And the Second with the I7-4770. I believe this is the R2?

Includes Alienware X51 AX51R2-9300BK desktop, AC power adapter, and manual
3.4GHz Intel Core i7-4770 processor with 8MB cache
Intel 6-Series H61 chipset
8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
1TB 7200 RPM hard drive
Slot-loading Blu-ray combo drive
Dell Wireless-N Wi-Fi
NVIDIA GTX 660 graphics with 1.5GB graphics memory
Internal high-definition 7.1-channel performance audio
Waves MaxxAudio
Alienware multimedia keyboard
Alienware optical mouse
10/100/1000 ethernet
Two USB 3.0 ports
Six USB 2.0 ports
HDMI 1.4a, RJ-45 ports
S/PDIF Toslink, coaxial digital outputs
Front left/right, center, rear left/right, side left/right speaker jacks
Headphone/speaker/microphone jacks
Windows 8
McAfee LiveSafe trial
Alienware Command Center
Measures approximately 3-3/4"W x 13-1/2"H x 12-1/2"D; weighs 12.1 lbs
UL listed adapter; 1-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Made in China

They both have the GTX 660. The R2 though has 1tb harddrive and 8GB ram. THe first one i posted has 2tb harddrive & 16GB ram! They are marked at the same exact price.

What im wondering is the "R2" Model with the i7-4770 That much better to be priced the same but with less ram & harddrive!??!?!

Please explain!!!! I would like to make the correct decision before buying and being upset, because if they are almost the same then i should just go with the one with 16gb RAM and 2tb harddrive correct?

please help!

THanks!

Commy1

I'm liking the first one myself. Haswell is most notable in mobile computers, nothing wrong with iVy Bridge.

sway

If they're the same price, but the r2 just comes with less ram, I'd go with the r2 just to have the newer processor. 8gb is more than enough ram for 99 percent of things especially gaming. If you save a lot going with the r1 then go with that, ivy isn't far behind haswell in performance like Tommy said.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Ghettobird52

I'm liking the first one myself. Haswell is most notable in mobile computers, nothing wrong with iVy Bridge.

If they're the same price, but the r2 just comes with less ram, I'd go with the r2 just to have the newer processor. 8gb is more than enough ram for 99 percent of things especially gaming. If you save a lot going with the r1 then go with that, ivy isn't far behind haswell in performance like Tommy said.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Hmmm Ty for advice, but slightly conflicting :p

So is the Haswell that much better than the Ivy bridge? And is that the only Differrence in the two? Also the R2 has less ram (8gb instead of 16gb) and less harddrive (r2 has 1tb instead of 2tb) Both have GTX 660.

If its only a difference in Processor, how much better is the processor? I read a review just singly on the I7 4770 VS the I7 3770, and stated that the difference in performance is quite minimal.

sway

Hmmm Ty for advice, but slightly conflicting :p

So is the Haswell that much better than the Ivy bridge? And is that the only Differrence in the two? Also the R2 has less ram (8gb instead of 16gb) and less harddrive (r2 has 1tb instead of 2tb) Both have GTX 660.

If its only a difference in Processor, how much better is the processor? I read a review just singly on the I7 4770 VS the I7 3770, and stated that the difference in performance is quite minimal.

The difference is minimal between ivy and haswell, but you'll be on the new socket for when the newer chip comes out next year. If it were me and they are the same price I'd go for the haswell bc it's more updated, 16gb of ram makes no difference in performance, and hdd are cheap if you ever wanna upgrade from 1tb, or just throw another ssd in there.

tappin from the Nexus 4

rohnnydepp

I heard 4770 is about 3% better, but consumes more power than 3770. With limited power of x51, I recommend the first one.

Ghettobird52

Thanks all for your input and help. I ended up going with the haswell based i7-4770. Reason picking was POSSIBLE upgradability in the future with the new socket. I've already found a great deal on 16gb of ram!!! Looking forward to chatting with you guys!

thanks once again