test

Help needed. Win7-64 recovery disk

KaptenTrumm

Hey boys and girls - lady's and gents :)

Local Dell was very straight forward - "Go F*** You shelf - You have super-pupper Win8 and that's all You need! Be happy that you get AW and You money is all we need!"

Dell Global was much more candid but they said basically same thing.

So - looking Dell Win7 64bit recovery disk. Should be atleast Pro but Ultimate is better. Anyone can lend a hand or have some ideas. Have looked eBay but they have so far only 32bit disks. Ordered one in hurry and discovered that only when disk did arrive - bummer :(

System is M18x R2.

Thanks for reading.

sway

What's wrong with 8? Performance is actually better!!!

tappin from the Nexus 4

DDuB420

You know you can install non dell (alienware) Windows 7 iso's on your system.
If you really want the login screen image and wallpapers. I can help you to manually add those.

KaptenTrumm

First - solved the issue. Do not need the disk anymore and to be the clear side will give the explanation to.

And the second - Did get ride of the 8 because (mainly) M$ policy pushing Metro touch screen interface. Yes - user can hide it in some extent but not completely. To use win8 apps (Mail and some other) there is still this full screen issue. User cant get ride of it without third party apps (Stardock has one good one) so I buy Win8 - and then need to buy some other stuff so Win8 will work - not a good idea.

Sway - performance could be somewhat better but currently its not noticeable - at least for some testing progs - so - the performance is not a very good selling point. But other nags are - unselling points.

DDub - those are not even a issue - I figured that one out and Stardock gives "automated" way to do those changes.

I tried to install my original Win7-64-Ultimate over the "old" Win8. Didn't work. Installed new HDD - didn't work.
Went to the BISO and fiddled around with new "improved" settings - no avail.
Breakthrough was little program in the BIOS called Computrace (its LoJack program and looks like Dell as added some features or using it very creatively) - I bet You all have this there. Disabled that and thing did start moving.

First I used old Dell Win7-32-Pro OEM disk and installed it. And looks like this did the trick and reason was that old BIOS was more user friendly. I did not even start to add Dell/AW stuff but installed right on top of that my personal Win7-64-Ultimate. And then I installed needed Dell/AW apps from Dell webpage.

And now its running nicely - Windows Perfomance index is even better then with Win8.

Looks like Gates keeps the Windows spell live and kicking - Win95 was crappy, Win98 was good, WinMe was crappy, WinXP was good and WinVista crappiest so far. Win7 was good and Win8 not so good. Lets see what Win9 will bring :cool:

Mr. Fox

Glad you got it sorted. I agree that Windows 7 is a better product than Windows 8 or 8.1 is. I have removed Windows 8 on my two most used systems after using Windows 8 as my primary OS for close to a year.

Last edited:

Mr. Fox

I think Bill Gates NOT being in the drivers seat has caused so many failures by Micro$lop lately, including the abortion the Windows 8 "Modern" user interface is. I also found lower benchmark results in most cases, so I am not seeing the improved performance that Windows 8 fans are talking about.

sway

I think Bill Gates NOT being in the drivers seat has caused so many failures by Micro$lop lately, including the abortion the Windows 8 "Modern" user interface is. I also found lower benchmark results in most cases, so I am not seeing the improved performance that Windows 8 fans are talking about.

Windows 8 almost beats 7 at every bench except for a few which it is literally right behind. W8 is one of the best Windows versions to date, if you don't like the ui there are simple ways around that.

A lot of the xp users had to be almost dragged kicking and screaming to update, many still are using xp too. Opinions are opinions, but at the end of the day, 8 out performs 7 even if most of the tests are a tiny bit. 8 is simpler, looks better imo. I'm not hating on 7 bc it was well deserved after a failed attempt by MS with Vista.

http://m.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/page4.html

tappin from the Nexus 4

Mr. Fox

With the kind of extreme benching that I do it does not excel at most things. They are very close in most things, but where CPU performance is most important Windows 7 is almost universally superior. In cases where Windows 8 has done a little bit better, I have exploited that at every opportunity. I do plan to keep a small 48GB partition on the edge of my mSATA cache SSD for booting Windows 8 specifically for those particular benchmarks that favor it. Those are mainly benchmarks released after Windows 8, so that kind of makes sense.

I was an early adopter and gave Windows 8 about a 9-month test on 5 systems. I am using 8.1 preview now on one system. Being equally unimpressed by it, I am in the process of migrating most of those systems back to Windows 7. I held out in hopes 8.1 might have something special to make me want to stay but I haven't seen anything that qualifies as great. I don't personally feel Windows 8 is terrible after I am done tweaking it, but do think it is hideous and extremely inefficient to use in its default form.

Yes, based on my personal preferences the Windows 8 UI sucks, but I completely overcame that impediment with dozens of aftermarket utilities and registry hacks. I have actually been very happy with the appearance of my modded UI so that's not the issue. I don't use the Modern UI or Windows 8 apps for anything. I actually had the Windows 8 desktop to where it was aesthetically so similar to Windows 7 that the newer styled Start button logo was one of the only giveaways that it was either a modded Windows 8 or a Windows 7 Start button mod.

I am not really anti-Windows 8 as much as I am still pro-Windows 7. In a heavily overclocked environment Windows 7 is a more stable OS than Windows 8. The inefficiency and lack of compelling features (personal opinion) that I actually find any value in make it something unexciting and unuseful to me rather than something hated. I would not recommend it as it would be a waste of many to anyone that is happy with Windows 7. But, if you ascribe to the new "one experience on every device" view that Microsoft is pushing on the public it's probably more acceptable.

Last edited: