test

Help, Suggestions, 10yr old Area 51 R1 (1.5)

Triad330670

To whomever reads this,

I am sitting on a fully functional Area 51 R1 or (1.5 the top vent chassis) computer. I am currently using the components that came with my system when it was built in 2010. Alienware MSI Mobo, Intel i7 980x, 12gb 1333mhz RAM, 1.1kw PSU. The system is running Win7Ult, and has had little to no problems over all the years I have used it, including 2 days ago.

I edit sound for film and TV and after the last feature I did, the power of my system really started to show its age with render times of multiple hours for audio alone.

I want to, I think I need to upgrade, and this beautiful chassis is near and dear to my heart. Alienware, is unfortunately a shell of the powerhouse pc builders they used to be and while I can get some assistance from them through the remainder of my M17 warranty they cannot assist me in taking my machine to the next level.

I am super grateful for the command center install guide pinned to this forum but I need a starting point and I have questions:

1) Is it important that I stick with an MSI branded mobo or is there one that will work best with the daughter board?

2) Do I need to purchase a new un-flashed daughter board to install with and then flash to accept the new mobo?

3) I want USB 2 to go to 3, Sata II to Sata III are there any of the controllers or boards that I need to track down and replace to allow for the next gen of connectors?

4) My PSU is showing 0 signs of problems and is a hefty 1.1kw, do I need to replace it or can I let it run on?

I don't know if this is the exact thread for this question so if it is not please direct me to the right place.

Thanks in advance everyone and for giving me hope that when I upgrade my PC that the lights and all that great flair will follow.

Triad

Cass-Olé

1) Is it important that I stick with an MSI branded mobo or is there one that will work best with the daughter board?
No, any motherboard can work in the R1 … if u choose a wider E-ATX form factor, then u might need to move or tape the black snap-lok organizer

2) Do I need to purchase a new un-flashed daughter board to install with and then flash to accept the new mobo?
No, your current MIO AlienF/X daughterboard should be able to work with any motherboard

3) I want USB 2 to go to 3, Sata II to Sata III are there any of the controllers or boards that I need to track down and replace to allow for the next gen of connectors?
Z490 & upcoming Z590 should be the latest & greatest. To have front external USB3.0 support, perhaps by a 3.5" (floppy bay) or 5.25" (DVD bay) USB3.0 enclosure unit for it … otherwise it will have onboard USB3.0 ports in the rear I/O area

4) My PSU is showing 0 signs of problems and is a hefty 1.1kw, do I need to replace it or can I let it run on?
Although 10years is a long time, & if it still works then u got a good one … u can run it til it dies or can not support new GRFX video cards

I make/sell aftermarket PSU swap cables & cooling adaptors, find me on eBay

This forum has good content and links to other posts / help if u browse here for it