Help to reset User Password

squarenuts711

Hi all,
Just picked up an Alienware M18X at an auction but it's locked with the former owner's user password. This person is now deceased and there is no way to recover that info from him.
Need help to reset or change this password.

MattyB

I would probably go for reinstalling Windows. I would assume that would do the trick. It is time consuming but no difficult and at least you know that you will have a nice fresh PC. Hopefully your machine came with an Alienware Windows 7 Disk otherwise you will have to buy a new OS.
There is software to recover passwords but I've never used them. Good luck!

maxrule

Hi all,
Just picked up an Alienware M18X at an auction but it's locked with the former owner's user password. This person is now deceased and there is no way to recover that info from him.
Need help to reset or change this password.

Download parted magic and burn the iso. Boot off it, it has a pw reset tool. Or google pw reset tool there are a couple iso out there with pw changing tools or hirens boot disc if you can find it.

DDuB420

My Hirens boot iso (bootable flashdrive) always does the trick :cool:
Google it

shankc

I no you guys are very helpful you've helped me in the past but I just hope this guy is legit and the laptop is not stolen. Just I've seen this question on notebookreview.com and no one will help because of this reason. No offence intended sqarenuts711 but you have to see where I'm coming from if you're laptop was stolen I don't think you would be happy. Hopefully I'm just being over cautious and you are just unlucky and you become a productive member of this group if so I do apologise and welcome

Last edited:

MattyB

The thought did pop in my head too. Unfortunately it's something that does happen. That's why I suggested using his Windows 7 disk to reinstall his OS.

shankc

Thanks Matty I wasn't sure if I was being paranoid. But as I said I've seen this on other forums and people just won't entertain them. But as you say shit happens. He could be telling the truth and become a welcomed member of this site. Just have to wait and see

Minsburg

My Hirens boot iso (bootable flashdrive) always does the trick :cool:
Google it

Hello

I have an Alienware M18X R2. I can boot from recovery disc (3 DVD), unfortunately I replace the hard drive (750 GB) by an SSD (240 GB) and I can't use this last disk to restore the backup (because I need a disk of 750GB or greater). As I said, I can boot from recovery disc but I cant boot from a Linux CD or Hiren's CD 15.2, not either an USB Linux. The bios is locked and I can't change boot order settings (UEFI to Legacy).

I'll buy a 1 TB HDD and I'm pretty sure I'll get back my system again, but if someone know how to unlock the BIOS settings I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Last edited:

KaptenTrumm

Hey

I have same kind of predicament (partly) as Minsburg.
I was "out" from civilisation like 1,5 years - look my last post and count from that LOL.
So - came back and cant remember BIOS p-word. Have tried several but no "luck".
I dont worry about Win p-word - didnt have time to but anything important there.
Most my stuff are on portable HD anyway.

But that BIOS thing - if someone has nice quick fix it would be nice.

I start working with my AW sometimes next week - if I get my other stuff in order.

Thnks.

Minsburg

Hey

I have same kind of predicament (partly) as Minsburg.
I was "out" from civilisation like 1,5 years - look my last post and count from that LOL.
So - came back and cant remember BIOS p-word. Have tried several but no "luck".
I dont worry about Win p-word - didnt have time to but anything important there.
Most my stuff are on portable HD anyway.

But that BIOS thing - if someone has nice quick fix it would be nice.

I start working with my AW sometimes next week - if I get my other stuff in order.

Thnks.

Hey, my girl is back!!!

I reset BIOS with the file M18R2A03WIN.exe available from Dell's web site.

I find the instructions here (http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/printfriendly1981.htm), but I have additional information:

You'll need 7-Zip or WinRAR to extract the M18R2A03WIN.exe content (right click, 7-Zip/WinRAR -> Extract to [folder]), then rename the file QBR10EC.fd to M18R2.hdr, and follow the instructions, and WAIT as he said (thanx Scott Matusow!!!).

And you have to create a bootable USB with fat32 filesystem, and connect to e-sata port with the content of M18R2A03WIN.exe (QBR10EC.fd renamed).

When you restart and press F12, boot options will be available (not necessary to change UEFI to Legacy) !!!

If you need help to create bootable USB, tell me and I'll post the instructions here.

Last edited:

KaptenTrumm

Did find all, did as Matusow insturcted - I guess it worked.
There was lots of beeping and stuff but after restart the p-word is still on.
:confused::(

Minsburg

Did find all, did as Matusow insturcted - I guess it worked.
There was lots of beeping and stuff but after restart the p-word is still on.
:confused::(

Ok, I think the password screen you are talking about is the system password (next screen is Windows asking for user/password), in my case was locked setup password (to make BIOS changes), however I think the solution I suggested must be work. Page mention that should be around 30 bip sound, but in my case there were more than 100! (when I really think that's not worked, it stop bipping and restart it self ;) ). Check this page, there are another BIOS files

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/1966-[m18x-r2]-unlocked-bios-versions.html

I found another file ("A03 UNLOCKED MENUS OPTIONS.rar"), I can't upload here, but I found it in the same site http://forum.techinferno , "QBR10EC.fd" is not included, but there is one called "PAR10MEC.fd". I must warn you, this file was my last option, in case the files from DELL web site not work, but original A03 works.

KaptenTrumm

Yep - thats the BIOS p-word. I used to be in the place where some guys where kind of "thinkering mode".
It was to complicated to take AW home every time so I but p-word to protect BIOS and system.
Funny thing is that I kind of remember the word I used but its not working?!!!

Thanks ;)