Help with my r1 x51

pcub3350

Hello everyone I own a r1 x51 i7 3770, 8gb ram.
I just installed a evga 670 ftw gpu and a 330w suply since mine was 240w when i recieve it.My problem is that computer shuts down when the games starte to load After main menu, but is the 330w brick that shuts the computer off and i have to unplug the psu from the wall to make it work again. I had downclock the gpu, created a fan profile, had case open with a home fan next to it to reduce heat, and removed my disc drive too.I haven't been able to play any game with geforce experience settings. What could i do to fix the problem? Will swapping the power board to a r2 solve the problem? I would love geting another gpu since 670ftw is not that power eficient compare to new gpu but im afraid problem
Will be the same with all newer gpu. Please help

mf9

Hello everyone I own a r1 x51 i7 3770, 8gb ram.
I just installed a evga 670 ftw gpu and a 330w suply since mine was 240w when i recieve it.My problem is that computer shuts down when the games starte to load After main menu, but is the 330w brick that shuts the computer off and i have to unplug the psu from the wall to make it work again. I had downclock the gpu, created a fan profile, had case open with a home fan next to it to reduce heat, and removed my disc drive too.I haven't been able to play any game with geforce experience settings. What could i do to fix the problem? Will swapping the power board to a r2 solve the problem? I would love geting another gpu since 670ftw is not that power eficient compare to new gpu but im afraid problem
Will be the same with all newer gpu. Please help

I think it's most likely that you got the FTW version which is the highest spec in the EVGA range. A bog standard 670 and I'm sure I've read people using 670 SC just fine with the X51, however it seems the FTW is just one step too far.

Try using MSI AFterburner and dropping the power by 25%, then see how far you can raise it when playing a game in order to determine the cut off rate.

pengful

You may try installing the R2 power board as per my thread. No harm and costs only USD30+. The challenge is finding one, from what I am reading...

I see You

MY opinion gut it slap the board in a new case and call it good for another 4 or 5 years till you want to go to another board, the plus side you will have a nice case a new high end PSU and no more power supply issues or funky power board stuff. i have never regretted my decision of moving my board sure i don't have lights, i don't have a cool small case with a alienware logo but, i can tell you this i will never again buy alienware not after i found out its all aftermarket parts nothing special, only thing special is oh the cool lights.

pcub3350

I think it's most likely that you got the FTW version which is the highest spec in the EVGA range. A bog standard 670 and I'm sure I've read people using 670 SC just fine with the X51, however it seems the FTW is just one step too far.

Try using MSI AFterburner and dropping the power by 25%, then see how far you can raise it when playing a game in order to determine the cut off rate.

You are right, i had been researching and the problem is the factory superclocking makes it worst for our poor alienware x51.I bought it because saw so many people running ftw in youtube and forums but ignore trying to find out about the problems that may come across. I had try going xtreme in msi burner; 70% power,-100 clock speed and -25, and lowered settings in titanfall to low/medium and 720p it did work but is a shame not being able to use all the gpu potencials.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

I was thinking on doing so, but was afraid to mess it up and since i was going for looks a bitfenix with matching power supply from bitfenix would cost almost 300 but since the new 900 series gpu's change the game completly to the alienware x51 and for 330 for a gtx 970 its not bad at all, i will still need the power board but in the worse case ecenario i will follow your advice and have a machine for years to come free of upgrade limitations
MY opinion gut it slap the board in a new case and call it good for another 4 or 5 years till you want to go to another board, the plus side you will have a nice case a new high end PSU and no more power supply issues or funky power board stuff. i have never regretted my decision of moving my board sure i don't have lights, i don't have a cool small case with a alienware logo but, i can tell you this i will never again buy alienware not after i found out its all aftermarket parts nothing special, only thing special is oh the cool lights.