test

Help with specs

Cassandra420

Hey everyone,

I've had a lot of trouble with Dell and they have decided to replace my laptop. They say the value will be no less but certain areas they have upgraded, whereas others have been downgraded. Here is what I had originally and then what they have said they will replace it with. I need your help in figuring out whether or not I am getting a better deal getting the replacement laptop, or if the laptop I have now is better and I should speak to them further about how to rectify this. Thanks in advance! :)

This is my original laptop:
original laptop.jpg

This is the one they have offered me:
dell replacement.jpg

Please have a look and let me know what you think! :) Thanks so much!

AeonSoul

To be honest, it seems pretty much a big upgrade to me.
The only thing I'd look further into it if I were you is the difference between the Network cards (Killer vs Broadcom) and the processors (which they seem pretty much the same). For the rest, either it's even or it's better.

MattyB

I think you're getting a really good upgrade. The CPU will be pretty similar but you're getting a better GPU and more HDD. The 5G Broadcom card will be better than the Killer as far as I know. They have been putting the new Broadcom card on their higher speced builds.

Go for it!

What's the name (fake English name) of the Dell rep you've been dealing with?

Cassandra420

Oh really? Well that's a relief! I thought Killer was the best wifi card so that made me a little worried.
My rep is "Wei Jing Tan" (Jaycee), whom I had to escalate the issue to get anything from her and then she offered a WUR lol.
The rep in charge of the replacement laptop is "Jun Ling". If you think I should go for it then I will :) I was just worried it wasn't quite as good, especially the R1 instead of R4 (I could be sounding stupid here but I figured the higher the number, the better it is). But I trust you guys' word over mine haha and if everything is equal, if not better, then I'll definitely go for it :) Thanks!!

MattyB

You're getting the brand new model so if you are a die hard fan of the old ones then you may be disappointed. I like the look of both models. I think you'll be happy.

Don't know any of those dell reps. Looks like you're getting sorted out anyway.

I arranged the replacement of a mates m17x which had the 3D screen. they didn't want the original 3D glasses back so he ended up getting 2 pairs. See if you can scan that deal too! :D

Cassandra420

To be perfectly honest with you, the rainbow keyboard is what sucked me in.. Lol. And the new one you can make the whole mousepad pink and the alien on the front! That makes me a little excited haha. I think I will send them an email saying I accept it, but I will be unscrewing the nameplate and keeping it cause the new one doesn't come with one lol.

I hope I get to keep the glasses! That would be amazing! Thanks so much for your help, appreciate it so much! :)

MattyB

Your old nameplate won't fit the new one unfortunately. There is a plate on the new one though and you may be able to take it to an engraver and squeeze your name on it somewhere next to the specs of your machine. When I got my new 14 I made everything pink and when I showed my GF the trackpad lighting up in pink she almost fell over. Now my 14 is about to be hers and she's pretty happy! What is it with girls and pink!! :p

MattyB

When I sent my mates M17x back they said that all they wanted was the computer, battery, adapter and windows CD. Be careful though because they will ask you to approve an email saying that you will return everything that you originally received or they will charge you accordingly. Just ask them about the glasses though and they may say not to worry. That's what they said to me! Good luck!

Cassandra420

Yeah I didn't think it would fit, I just want it as a keepsake cause it's cute lol. Pink is amazing, that's what! :p haha. I even bought a pink skin for the laptop so it's not all black ;) lol

Yeah, it doesn't mention the glasses but I will ask just in case. Thanks! Hopefully the new one works properly this time lol

AeonSoul

Oh just to clarify, since it seems that you had this doubt, they're changing your M17X R4 which is an early 2013 model (same design as M17X from R1 to R4) with the new 2013 model, which is the Alienware 17 which came out a couple of months ago.

Cassandra420

So I got my new laptop and I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the keypad as bright as the M17x? So far so good though, just the lights are much duller for some reason lol.
On the M17x I could also see the 3D emitter on the screen, so I could get a skin made for my laptop to not affect the emitter. I can't see it at all on the new one, don't suppose anyone knows exactly where it is?

Thanks! :)

MattyB

No, that's as bright as the lights are going to get unfortunately. That was one of my first thoughts about them too. That and they don't have a white setting for the lights anymore. I always used to make mine white.

Cassandra420

That sucks! Oh I didn't know that, I make my keypad rainbow coloured and the rest pink lol. So disappointing that they have made the lights so dull but oh well. Thanks :)