test

Hi from TX

Vipor

Hi guys. New to the AWO Forum. In fact, new to Alienware period. Total newbie here. Actually don't have hardware yet. Still in research mode but hoping to get some hw soon. Been eye-balling the hw going between notebook and desktop and back to notebook trying to decide what to go for.

To date, I've mostly used typical entry level notebooks that I would get from work (I work for a PC company). No added horsepower of any kind on then. About 5 years ago, I jumped into the Mac side of things. But, still entry level with no added horsepower. Hoping to get my hands on one of these Alienware beasts here soon and see what kind of trouble I can get myself into. :p

AeonSoul

Welcome, and remember, even an entry level AW can be upgraded to be a beast :D

MattyB

Welcome. Good luck with your decision. I would suggest to go for the new 17 if you are between a desktop and a laptop. They are considered desktop replacements. Plenty of juice but still somewhat portable. Or the 18!

Vipor

Thanks Matt. Yes, been going back and forth between the 18 and the Aurora.

I like the "look" of the last gen laptops personally. I think the new ones took a hit aesthetically (just my opinion) while beefing them up under the hood. The Aurora, on the other hand, looks so dang awesome and can be loaded with whatever you want.

Looks like an 18 with base RAM (upgrade later), single 660, and 750G hdd (w/ caching SSD) will run in the $1800 range.
Looks like an ALX Aurora (Quad) with base RAM (upgrade later), dual 660s, 1TB hdd with 512 SSD bundle, and loaded with media reader, BR, Kybd/Mouse would run in the $2800 range.

Hmmmm... decisions decisions... the 18 runs about the same as I paid for my 4 yr old Macbook. But, man that Aurora would be a beast for not too much more. Ugghh!!

MattyB

At this stage I agree with you. The new ones didn't quite hit the mark. I need to get up close and personal with one though. If you're going for an M18x I wouldn't suggest a single 660M. You gotta go for SLI with such a massive beast!

I can't sway you either way (notebook/desktop) since I obviously couldn't decide between them myself! :D

JennyM

Welcome Voray, and enjoy the search for your perfect fit in the alienware world :)

PoOkiExL3oi

Welcome Voray, hope your search will end up being an Alienware and nothing else ; )

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Welcome Vipor, hope your search will end up being an Alienware and nothing else ; )

Vipor

Thanks guys. Well, the decision is a tough one. I want both. hahahaha

So, I pulled the trigger on a M17x R4 from the outlet. Hope it's like other places and it goes through all kinds of testing before they put it out on the market. Went with R4 as I'm not too crazy on the aesthetics of the new ones. I figure I better be happy not only with the function but also with the looks of the darn thing if I'm gonna spend this much coin on it. :D

Anywho, once I save up over the next few months, maybe I'll pull the trigger on the Aurora. Then I'll be set. :eek: At least until I see something else I want. hahaha

JennyM

Gratz on your new purchase! You'll love it I'm sure... One u go alien, u can never go back... :D

Vipor

Thanks Jen. Well, I have a couple of Windows boxes at home (Win7 and Win8) as well as a MB (Lion). But, have nothing resembling a beast such as AW. So, hoping Alien is at a totally different level. Looking forward to the expereince. :)

JennyM

I had my AW for 4 years before I discovered on this site that you can change the colour of your rigs lights lol! I now have a cool purple colour and an aqua colour, they're so cool, u do it all through the command centre, have a go when u get ur machine & see how cool the different colours are.

jacobberke

Hey! Welcome, I'm also from Texas! Alienware Laptops and Desktops are legit, and if you ever need help with something, Alienware Owners will be here to help.

Vipor

Major grins here guys. :D My M17 shipped out on Friday and was targeted to be here this coming Thursday. Just got a text that FedEx just dropped it off. Gonna pick it up from my sis's house after work. Can't wait. Woohoo!!!