test

Hi guys new owner

Hello had my M14XR4 a couple of weeks now and loving it!.The only down side to it is the screen, is there any settings I can change to improve it?.Bit of a noob but I have tried most things, ended up connecting it up to a pc monitor.I am also hearing that the performance dramatically reduces when running on battery only? Is this correct?.

Cheers

SpyderBite

I haven't noticed any difference in the performance of my m14x while running it on battery with the exception of the user defined power saving options which I can tweak on a whim.

As for the screen, what about it do you actually want to improve? Out of the box (assuming its a new/refurbished) it should be set to optimal video quality. Did you purchase the digital screen upgrade when you bought your Alienware? When I compared an upgraded and non-upgraded model side by side, the difference was night and day.. Thus I chose to upgrade.

yikes81

What specs did you get? Generally speaking by default the performance well drop to save battery life. You can change this under settings.

Other than this, welcome aboard!!

Sent via Tapatalk

Last edited:

MattyB

Yes welcome! Like Yikes says, by default your machine will drop to Intel graphics when on battery unless you change your settings.

Enjoy your stay!

I haven't noticed any difference in the performance of my m14x while running it on battery with the exception of the user defined power saving options which I can tweak on a whim.

As for the screen, what about it do you actually want to improve? Out of the box (assuming its a new/refurbished) it should be set to optimal video quality. Did you purchase the digital screen upgrade when you bought your Alienware? When I compared an upgraded and non-upgraded model side by side, the difference was night and day.. Thus I chose to upgrade.

Hi. The colours just seem really washed out? Wish I had gone for the upgrade now! Also is it worth me upgrading from the standard 1Gb card?

Sleepy

Actually I have noticed and tested , the graphic card power with and with out power cable connected , with power saving option switch out so it use's the graphic card when not pluged in , when unplugged it can be set to use the graphics card indeed , however it will still run the graphic card slower than it will run when pluged in .... So what I'm saying is for best graphic power always run it pluged in buddy

Commy1

The M14x while on battery is drastically under clocked, yes
Whats wrong with the screen? No you cannot put a bigger screen in it, the resolution won't change much, 900p is as good as it gets.
Believe it or not plugging in another monitor won't make it preform any better.

MattyB

Also, you won't be able to upgrade to the 2GB card now since they are soldered into the motherboard on the M14x. If you went for the lower quality screen too, my advice would be to sell the one you have and buy a new one.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

EDIT: Or upgrade to the M17x so you have more room to upgrade in the future.

Sora3

for your screen issue did you get the standard screen or the upgrade? and also if you have not had it for more than 21 days you can return it if you dont like it and make a new one.