test

Hi new here

djlusk

Hi i am new to this site i have just swaped a old pc for a M17x r2 so just need to ask as few things, if you guys don't mind.
1 I would like to take ownership of this laptop but the guy(kid) i swaped it with will not give me his bits to do it what could i do about this.
2 i am think of putting a gtx 675 m card in my beast will it fit? also want to upgrade a few more bits like the screen to 1920-1080 (any one know what screen i can fit i.e r3 one ?) a 256 ssd 1 tb hdd (wd black or some thing like that).
Must say for a year old laptop i love it to bits only thing i have found with it is my gpu(5870) get's to around 80c when i play bf3 so any cooling idear's you guys have would be nice.
Last thing any one know where to download alienfx light thems from.
Oh if any one is running the 675 m could you let me know what it is like any good for games.:D

yikes81

So what are the kids reasons for not assisting you with transferring the ownership? Is he just being difficult?

In regards to cooling, you could do a strip down and repaste, if you are confidant. Also recommend a cooling pad. I prefer the cooler master u3.

Any upgrade is a good upgrade. I think.
Someone else in the forum upgraded their M11x to a 12inch IPS screen. So maybe you an see if there are screens available for your needs. Otherwise I think an official upgrade may be too expensive.

All the other suggested upgrades should be easy enough.

In regards to your GPU, I'm not sure as I have not done it myself. Take a look around the forum. There is a ton of useful information that help you out.

Other than that. Welcome to the forum!!

Sent via Tapatalk

Last edited:

MattyB

Welcome!

I can't see why you couldn't swap the screen out. There are a number of sites on eBay which sell aftermarket screens for Alienware laptops.

The 675M is just a 580M rebranded. It's still a great card but if you can afford it, I would go for the 680M as it is a fair bit superior to the 580M. Again, I can't see why it wouldn't work in your R2 since people have put them in M15x's.

It's definitely worth doing a repaste on your R2. It's really not that difficult if you take your time and be careful. If you swap out your GPU you are going to have to do it anyway so it may be worth practicing with your current card.

I'm sure some of the other guys here will help you out more than I have though.

Good luck!

P.S. I think Yikes meant 'good' not 'food'. He must be hungry! :D

yikes81

Welcome!

P.S. I think Yikes meant 'good' not 'food'. He must be hungry! :D

Yeh I did, lol, thanks. Fixed.
I was typing while walking, and trying not to run into walls.

Incidentally, I am hungry due to not having breakfast or lunch yet.

Sent via Tapatalk

djlusk

Thxs for the info guys as for the kid not giving me his details i dont know why will not be hard to get them mind you.
As for pulling the laptop apart i shore i can find a vid on youtube lol, thxs anyway guys you been a lot of help.

- - - - - Updated - - - - -

was looking thought ebay and found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arctic-Silver-5-Thermal-Paste-3-5g-/271138188169?pt=UK_Computing_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item3f21186b89 is that any good if so i get a few.

MattyB

What 'bits' do you need to swap ownership? I'd be interested to know since I recently sold my M17x to a mate. You may just need the service tag number on the bottom of the machine. Register it to dell under your name and see what comes up. If it still has any warranty it will show you.

Arctic Silver 5 is usually one of the better pastes as far as I've seen. That's what I got recently.

djlusk

I need his name adress and phone number so if any thing gose wrong i can send it off to dell and not have it go to him again (had it happen to a m9700 once lol)

MattyB

Sounds like you're going to have to start stalking him until you get the info you need.

djlusk

lol going to send him one more email then i get it myself i just trying to be nice to him :)

kepano24

Hi i am new to this site i have just swaped a old pc for a M17x r2 so just need to ask as few things, if you guys don't mind.
1 I would like to take ownership of this laptop but the guy(kid) i swaped it with will not give me his bits to do it what could i do about this.
2 i am think of putting a gtx 675 m card in my beast will it fit? also want to upgrade a few more bits like the screen to 1920-1080 (any one know what screen i can fit i.e r3 one ?) a 256 ssd 1 tb hdd (wd black or some thing like that).
Must say for a year old laptop i love it to bits only thing i have found with it is my gpu(5870) get's to around 80c when i play bf3 so any cooling idear's you guys have would be nice.
Last thing any one know where to download alienfx light thems from.
Oh if any one is running the 675 m could you let me know what it is like any good for games.:D

Dude the 675m is awesome for games... get around 60-70+ average frames on bf3 on high settings.
Crisis 3 between 50-70 on high.......of course I'm also using 32gig of ram