test

Hi

orbie

Just found this site while searching for info on my PC.

I've been searching for a few ways to lower the temps of my cards.

I have an Aurora (believe its an R3) with 2 GeForce GTS 240 in SLI. At idle, they run around 70c. Under load, they get up to 90c. Is this not abnormal? Also, lately I think the fans are louder even while browsing the web. It's been a great PC over the last few years but I think its time to add fans or open it up to better cooling.

A pic of the case for reference. Do I have an R3 or R4?
IMG00008-20091201-1723.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sarah

Hi orbie, welcome to the site :) I'm a laptop person these days so I can't help you with your questions. But if you post this up in the Aurora section of the forum then I'm sure some expert advice will come along pretty quickly :)

SDDAWG

Do you have the PCI fan in the command center set on a curve? This would push more air thru as the case gets hotter thus hopefully cool the cards down. An idle temp of 70c is high in my opinion. Set a curve and see if that helps and bump the HDD fan to about 45% fixed. That is what I have my fans set at. I have an R3 also but have a GTX770 inside. It's idle temps are about 32c and then go to about 70c during BF3.

Problem with the R3 case is there is not alot of room to put an additional fan. I also put a Corsair 120mm fan with a constant 1650 RPM on the other side of the radiator to help cool the CPU for a push/pull. Works great and that would also lower the case temps a bit. Those cards are kinda old and might be time for a better single card option. I have never been a fan of SLI in the R3 due to the closeness of the cards.

orbie

Problem with the R3 case is there is not alot of room to put an additional fan. I also put a Corsair 120mm fan with a constant 1650 RPM on the other side of the radiator to help cool the CPU for a push/pull. Works great and that would also lower the case temps a bit. Those cards are kinda old and might be time for a better single card option. I have never been a fan of SLI in the R3 due to the closeness of the cards.

I'm recognizing this now as I search more and more on the web today. LOL

TY for the tips!

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

SDDAWG, I went into the command center and saw what you meant by the curve. I'm unsure of where to have all the "points" to designate what temp and what speed. Could you share what yours are set at?

SDDAWG

Sure thing. Mine is set at about 50% fan speed at about 27c for temp. In other words, the red dot is in the third box up in the second row from the left. You will have to play with it until you are comfortable with the setting. My PCI fan speed is usually 50-52% at about 27c. The hard drive fan is set at a fixed speed of 45%. For me the fan gets kinda lot at 50%

holeyguy66

orbie i would guess you have an r2 as i dont remember any geforce 240 options available for an r3.( atleast time of my order there wasnt ) 1 key rule to live by KEEP YOUR RIG CLEAN. atleast once a month pull both cards out blow them out with canned air or a very low pressure blower. if you havent done that. also fan controls are important as discribed above. the pci fan is a high flow fan at 100% its pushs out 110 cfm the 110 cubic feet per minute. use it. the hdd fan isnt as powerful but is a pretty heavy duty fan also. here is a pic of what my fans used to be set at. this is before i decided to liquid cool my cpu and gpus with a custom installed loop. at idle id run bot my fans at 50%. i dont do curves ive tried them and i got better results out of just locking them at a certain speed. just dont ever use the auto setting it never cuts it. also the fan you hear loud just browsing might be your cpu cooler fan. thats the only fan you can not control from the command center. if the radiator is clogged with dust it will raise your cpu temps thus ramping the system fans speed. you can pull the radiator out with out removing the cooling block. remove the fan and get you a tooth brush and canned air and have some fun.