test

High GPU Temps in X51 r2

acarlton

I've been running a EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost SC 2gb card in my X51 for the past two months. I noticed as soon as I start gaming the GPU temp will hoover at 88C-90C. Is this normal? I'm have to use MSI afterburner to crank the fan to max (74%) to keep the card just under 90C.

STDVirus

No that's bad! You don't want it anywhere near 90C. You need to download a program called SpeedFan 4.49. This will allow you too adjust all the fans speed in your computer including GPU fan to accommodate to the temp. rising in the case. Here is the site you need just fallow the steps. This will allow you to adjust your case fans to draw in more air to your system.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19472791.aspx

Just a side note even under a heavy load say Battlefield 4 or Metro LL my pc hovers around 75C, i've seen it hit 80C before but this is rare.

sway

Don't need speed fan, set up a fan curve profile in precision x, download it on evga site.

tappin from the neXus 5

acarlton

I'm going to give precision x a try. I did some digging into the EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost SC card and from what I read it tends to run hot.

STDVirus

yeah precision-x works good for the GPU fan, the only reason i use SpeedFan is because it controls all the fans in the case. But i use Precision-X for my OC

STDVirus

I still say that's to high for me to close to the danger zone. With my 680 SC over clocked even farther i hover around 75 maybe getting close to 80 with games like BF4 but not going over 80. My mad is 97c ive seen cards burn up so for me i'm paranoid for this to happen to me since cards are not cheap lol.

mf9

I'm surprised a 680 GTX works in an X51, that must be right on the edge of the power consumption of the 330w power supply. A lot of reviews do say the 680 does run cooler, however I guess that's why it's so expensive?

acarlton

I'm actually thinking about changing my gpu from the EVGA 650 Ti Boost to either a EVGA 750 Ti SC or to MSI's 760 mini itx card. With both being smaller cards I think it will allow more air to flow freely throughout the case. I love the Ti Boost card however it's like an oven inside my x51 and I'm worried about the high temps damaging other components. I've been dealing with BF4 crashing while playing multiplayer, so the card has to go.

sway

Not a good idea anyway, you need a reference gpu, one that blows the hot air out of the case. Last thing you want to do is blow hot air around inside.

tappin from the neXus 5

acarlton

Not a good idea anyway, you need a reference gpu, one that blows the hot air out of the case. Last thing you want to do is blow hot air around inside.

tappin from the neXus 5

Here's a quote from the same techPowerUp review of MSI's GTX 760 Mini Itx card, "MSI's GTX 760 Mini-ITX exhausts hot air out of the case, so its thermal requirements are not that high.". What I like about the card is that its compact, which should allow air to flow into the case a little easier. Also, the 6 pin to 8 pin adapter is included.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_760_Mini_ITX_Gaming/29.html

sway

Here's a quote from the same techPowerUp review of MSI's GTX 760 Mini Itx card, "MSI's GTX 760 Mini-ITX exhausts hot air out of the case, so its thermal requirements are not that high.". What I like about the card is that its compact, which should allow air to flow into the case a little easier. Also, the 6 pin to 8 pin adapter is included.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_760_Mini_ITX_Gaming/29.html

It's still not a reference designed card and will exhaust heat everywhere. That site assumed the gpu would be in a well ventilated mini itx case, not the x51 oven. Dell designed it with a blower type gpu for a reason. Where the gpu is, there's no breathing room at all unless you create some in the side panels.

tappin from the neXus 5

acarlton

That is very true. I'll be picking up my new 330W from the post office today. I got it for $70 off of ebay. I'm on newegg right now looking at the 760's and seeing how I have the i3-4130, I was wondering if there will be a bottleneck. I can either upgrade my gpu or go with a cpu upgrade to an i5-4430.

sway

That is very true. I'll be picking up my new 330W from the post office today. I got it for $70 off of ebay. I'm on newegg right now looking at the 760's and seeing how I have the i3-4130, I was wondering if there will be a bottleneck. I can either upgrade my gpu or go with a cpu upgrade to an i5-4430.

Your on haswell right?

tappin from the neXus 5

sway

I would love to do the deal, however I have the 1150 Haswell socket.

Eventually you'll be bottlenecked with that i3, haswell is more powerful though so not to sure. Games are using more cores now like bf4. For now I'd do a nice gpu upgrade, the better you get the less it'll have to work and create heat.

I'd say a nice newer amd card but they run like they're powered by the sun.

tappin from the neXus 5