How Can I Eject DVD, hard drive failure

Sundog

Mar 2, 2014
On my hard drive RAID setup, my second RAID drive showed "Error occurred" at Boot. Then the system began rebooting intermittently. Alienware Tech Support and I ran various tests and their conclusion was I would have to reformat my drives. (Data has been backed up to cloud via Carbonite.) Problem: There is a DVD in the optical drive slot that needs to be ejected first, so I can try loading a repair disc. This drive has no Eject button and no paperclip hole. How can I eject this DVD? I have an M17X-R2 that is out of warranty, and I don't want to just throw it into a landfill.

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
If you still have problems with your Optical drive why don't you create a bootable usb flashdrive on another computer all the info on how to do this is on the login screen. Then you can load operating system off the flashdrive but hopefully you can get your optical drive working and you have no need of the above work around

Sundog

Mar 2, 2014

Thanks. Yes, I explored that thread thoroughly before starting this one. I found references to things I could do IF my laptop booted (use Win Explorer, add program to Desktop, etc.), and ideas about using the mysterious (to me, anyway) "Touch" button. My M17XR2 does not have a "Touch" button. Where is it?

I also tried the various Boot ideas with no joy. At this point I'm thinking my only answer is to take the $#@% laptop apart.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Found the "Touch" button, only visible when machine is on. Ejected disc successfully. Now need help reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Complicating factor: The OS was an upgrade from Vista. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit up and running on my Desktop. Can someone point me to a link as to how to proceed?