How can I make my R9 Nano work X51 R3?

Jerry Huang

Hi guys, I see people here are talking about putting a 980 Ti in x51. But mine can't even power up a nano which tdp is only 175w. I used a 6pin to 8pin adaptor to connect my nano, but when I pushed the power button, the machine only made some 'click' sound. Then I had to buy a 970 SSC and put my nano in the amplifier. What a waste! Is there anyone could help?

CadillacJimbo

Not sure if this would work but I would give a Dual 6-Pin PCI Express (F) to 8-Pin PCI Express (M) Power Adapter a try as it turns 2 single 6 pin 150w into a single 8 pin 300w cable. Check it out here: http://www.evertek.com/viewpart.asp?auto=63196&cat=2

I dont see why the nano wouldn't work in a R3 because I have a R1 with a stock power board pushing an overclocked EVGA GTX 670 FTW which the tdp is 170w.

Jerry Huang

Yes, I tried that but doesn't work. I actually had a R2 and the Nano fits and works in there no problem. I also had a 670 ref working beautifully in my R2. Does the water pump takes too much power in my R3? That's the only reason I could think of. But hey, thanks for your help:)

CadillacJimbo

Yea then I think it has to be the water pump. How was the temps on the Nano in the R2? I been thinking about upgrading my 670 FTW to either a 980 or Nano but kind of concerned about only having a R1 power board even though at the moment it doesn't give me any troubles.

Jerry Huang

The temp was actually fine, around 75c load and I was able to Overclock it to 1.1GHz but I'm not sure what kind of power board inside my R2. The machine comes with a 240w power adaptor but I bought a 330w one from ebay and it worked straight away.

raydenr

So a R9 nano works with the X51 R3 ?? I had heard the pc would only go to a black screen due to not passing the initial test TDP