test

How does Mac/Apple compare with MS

Ianm63

I've allways used Windows....but a mate said that Mac/Apple are more reliable ect, does anyone use one or had one

Maelstrom

Macs run well, but if I had to say one thing about using them it's that they are overly complicated. It's rather difficult figuring out all the commands and how to do stuff within a Mac.

VagrantXeth

I don't think that they are that complicated, just different and take some getting used to especially if you are used to using Windows based machines. That being said, I think the biggest problem you will run into is that given that Windows based machines have a greater installed user base, finding compatible or comparable programs that one is used to using coming from the Windows camp presents its own set of challenges. Much like the app world is dominated by iOS products (i.e. they usually come out on iPad and iPhone first and later on Android and now Windows tablets and touch interface Windows machines with Windows 8) the opposite can be said about the home computer market. Most of your programs are predominantly on Windows based machines and have to be adapted to be used on Mac and iOS machines. I will say that video editing and photo centric programs generally fare better coming out on Mac and iOS, but unless you are using those types of programs heavily, you probably won't find too much appeal in those machines that have a Mac OS or iOS.

Then there is the question of malware and viruses. They are more likely to be found on Windows based machines, because their use is more widespread and nefarious individuals find it easier and more effective to write malicious code on machines that are more widely used. Mac and iOS have had their share, but malicious code is not as prevalent because targeted machines are generally Windows ones because of their widespread use. In the end, it comes down to personal preference and what you as an individual find fits your needs.

VagrantXeth

On another note there is pricing. I liken it to a Porsche and Camaro (yes I know one is way faster than the other). While a Porsche is one heck of a machine, ultimately if you want to address an issue with it, even if you are mechanically inclined, an authorized mechanic will generally have to fix it because it is a more "specialized" type of vehicle. On the other hand, if you are so inclined and have the basic knowledge, you could likely fix issues on your own with the latter of the two because it is not as "specialized." And the same comparison can be drawn for price, assuming you live in North America and not Europe.

What this comparison boils down to is this, one is more expensive and harder to work on by yourself, the other is not as pricey and you can probably fix it on your own if you had to.

jacobberke

mac's are way over priced, People say alienware is overpriced. But not nearly like mac and apple.

Ianm63

Now might not bother with one, but HP envy 17 looks good, need to see one in the flesh though

DDuB420

I've owned MacBook Pro, but I returned it. I couldn't justify the price for the performance.