test

How is your X51 holding up? (R1,R2,R3)

How is your X51 holding up?

• Great! I love it and would buy another one!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Good! Really happy with it.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • It's okay, needed to troubleshoot some problems, but it works fine now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I didn't like my experience with it and would have never bought it.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sk.empyre

Just wanted to ask fellow members on how their Alienware X51 is holding up to this day?
Please select a Poll answer and then reply to the topic with which X51 you have (R1,R2,R3) and then let us know why you love it or hate it.

Poll will close after 15 Days*

Dan.J

I have a R3 and have had it for a couple months. No issues with it and happy with it for the most part. My only real complaint is the very basic bios options for overclocking and then the included "OC" software is a joke as well. I have a 6600K in mine and it only goes 3.9ghz with OC on which is just stupid for a new unlocked K series processor. With some manual OC control I'm sure I could get my 6600K @4.4 or more with the same (or less) voltage then what Alienware is using for there 3.9 overclock......its just silly.

EMINENT

I'm kinda curious as mine says maximum 4.4 at the top of Thermal Controls on my i7 6700k, but in System or Processor tab in Task view it only reflects 4.0. I never see my processor go beyond 4ghz as my old 2500k did. Same loads. Really strange. Like it's not overclocked at all.

Can anyone give some insight to this or is something wrong with my machine?

Dan.J

Just the way it is set up and I believe that max OC of 4.4ghz for the 6700K is only on one core......which is useless so yes on all 4 cores loaded your unlocked 6700K will only do 4ghz and my 6600K will only do 3.9ghz on 4 cores. As I said earlier Alienware REALLY needs to give us the ability to run these unlocked K series cpu's to more of there potential not this very weak overclock they have going on thats locked up. Open it up for us and simply limit what voltage we can use or something. Nice little quiet system but the way the bios are locked up and non tweakable and the boring non adjustable OC software will keep me from EVER buying another Alienware, I will just start building my own again.

EMINENT

Just the way it is set up and I believe that max OC of 4.4ghz for the 6700K is only on one core......which is useless so yes on all 4 cores loaded your unlocked 6700K will only do 4ghz and my 6600K will only do 3.9ghz on 4 cores. As I said earlier Alienware REALLY needs to give us the ability to run these unlocked K series cpu's to more of there potential not this very weak overclock they have going on thats locked up. Open it up for us and simply limit what voltage we can use or something. Nice little quiet system but the way the bios are locked up and non tweakable and the boring non adjustable OC software will keep me from EVER buying another Alienware, I will just start building my own again.

As loud as the fan goes up and down constantly at around 55 on the pci sensor and 45 on the power sensor, do you think the temps would be much higher with an air cooler in a case like the Silverstone Raven RVZ02 and an air cooler? Or be as loud or louder?

I got this R3 because of the liquid cooler. If it's not doing much cooling at a mediocre clock. The purchase isn't going to be much worth it.

warren todd

I have the X51 r3. Sadly not used it to any great extent as its faulty and still not repaired! Faulty system overheating to the max! from day 1 and so slow right now my pet snail roosted it in the face. It can't even pass it's own stress test - maybe they should speak to Volkswagen to get tips on test rigging. Dell doing nothing but replace parts instead of replacing whole system. Starting to loose faith! Maybe all it come right, but not looking promising at the moment.

Oldest Model - Main PC, Always ON
Alienware X51 R1 1st Generation
Sandy Bridge i7 2600 OEM GTX 555
- $940 refurbished from Newegg 2012
BIOS A04 ➔ A06 ➔ A08 ➔ A14
Upgraded to 16GB RAM, 512 SSD, ➔ GTX 660TI 3GB FTW LE ➔ GTX 970
Alienware Windows 7 Home ➔ Windows 8 Pro Free Upgrade ➔ Windows 8.1 Pro ➔ Windows 10 Professional
Excellent Performance
Runs All Games

Spike

Bought my X51 R2 Nividia 670 16 GB in July 2013. It has worked flawlessly until recently. Boots up normally to Desktop and then freezes. I'm looking around for a solution. I think maybe the 670 is worn. Swapped out a new duplicate Seagate 2T hard drive but have the same problem. Ordered a new Nivida card, we'll see. Back to the survey. I paid just under $2000 for my rig. I think it should have performed longer than two and a half years without a failure. Am I happy, sure but kind of disappointed. This could get expensive real quick. Don