test

How much is it worth...? Please help!!

seanwalker987

I have a friend of a friend with a damaged Alienware 18 lying around, not thought about selling it.

Specs are:
Intel i7 4900MQ
Windows 8.1 Pro
16GB DDR3 RAM
1TB Western Digital HD
80GB Sata boot drive

GPU is faulty, doesn't work atall. It has the normal onboard graphics card working fine tho.

In your expert opinion and experience, what would you suggest is a good price to offer and do you think k it's worth taking it on as a fixer upper?

Thanks in advance!

ryankelsey7

Faulty GPUs knock about a thousand to 2k off the price depending on the model. At about 2-$4k original price based on specs of say about 1-$2k based on the processor and model of gpu.
Ryan Kelsey

seanwalker987

Thanks for the reply. Yeah because a new SLi ain't guna be cheap.

Anyone else have any advice? I'm a little unsure if it's worth it or to just get a new one.

Arthur Ausili

It makes me wonder how both GPU cards failed at the same time. You could try uninstalling the GPU drivers, download them and reinstall to see if that fixes the problem.

Has anyone taken it apart and possibly left a loose connection somewhere?

If all else fails, you may be able to restore vale to it by adding two lesser expensive cards purchased from eBay. There is a lot of information on You Tube on how to install them if you have the time and patience. "As is", I would guess you would get less than $800 for it.

Pestvic

Here is how you would take apart the system to get to the cards. After removal of the heatsinks there should only be 1 or 2 set screws per graphics card. They they will pop out and slide out similar to ram cards. Install the new ones and new thermal paste, etc. and you would be golden. Would be good for him to be able to keep the system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz2PnNOCXG4