test

How to Install Command Center for a Non-Alienware Motherboard

Cass-Olé

Asus Prime Z390A.JPG
From Asus Prime support/manuals page (left), the front panel header (right) found on 51 R1-R7 FIO & Mthrbrd & Aurora R1-R4 mthrbrd, & 3DVC4 being the front panel header cable (connects FIO to mthrbrd)

Compare Asus 10x10 to FIO_PWR1 (panel header) 5x5, we'd see

1) right-half (5x5) of Asus 10x10 can be ignored
2) left half (5x5) of Asus shares panel header pinout
3) 3DVC4 should be a plug & play cable as the result

MSI is the OEM of the alienboad & their panel header pinout (JFP1) isn't 'universal', but it's close to a standard pinout, so close it matches the Asus 5x5 left-portion

Not sure what to say here other than plug your cable into the left-side (& ignore the right 5x5). If 3DVC4 is too short, buy a male-prong extension or look for a longer panel cable (20" - 24")
Capturefp.JPG
Above is a basic extension, found using google image search of Internal Motherboard Panel Extension
similar to this & this

Captureit.JPG
Above, Panel1 cable plugs into FIO, the other end plugs into mthrbrd panel header; there is no male end nor female end to the cable, no correct end to plug in, use either end. Because the original R2 mthrbrd situates the panel header at the middle right of board, it may not reach the panel header of your Asus (bottom right sill), extension is needed usually

Due to the variety of cables & places to buy them at, at this point I can't pick one out for your build, so can u let me know if this looks like the beginning of the info u need?
Edit to new reply: Thank you so much, I was able to make the connection from MB to FIO and now power button is functional! Had to swap pin 9 and 10 on the 3DVC4 and the extension to get it to slot and started right up

We'd like this to be simple, but the reality is that there are several variables & many parts to choose from, I tend to stay away from injecting every last way to attack a project lest it be a rabbit hole which confuses

For instance, you'd think buying a 24" front panel cable would be ez, but they're hard to find; a person may just buy a 24" USB cable & proceed to mod it instead. The front panel & USB headers are keyed slightly different, where the block-off pin on 9/10 'shifts' between top row & bottom row, thus the connector won't plug in (due to block-off slot). The double-ended USB cable is modded by piercing (at both ends) the block off pin slot w/a needle, then transferring the related mis-match wire into it (see *Note below), thus a USB cable can 'mod' into a front panel cable (by dealing with the block-off pin & *optional* moving a single wire). No one needs to know that so long as they can buy an actual plug & play front panel cable; if they can't, PlanB is buy & mod a USB cable

JFP1 (51 R1-R7) front panel header pinout (identical to FIO_PWR1 header) is what interests us 1st, then the owner finds their service manual wiring diagram > compare the two as I did in the top photo side-by-side wiring diagrams & proceed to mod USB cable or front panel cable, which ever the case may be since different motherboards may need different approaches / rabbit holes

*Note: Per top wiring diagram pic, we might note that there is no Reset Switch in our cases, so in a sense JFP1/FIO pins 5-7-9-10 don't really matter or apply ... if you moved wire-pin9 to 10 or vice-versa, that's a functionally correct mod but also just a dead wire-pin of no concern (as are 5/7). In a sense, poking a hole w/needle into a USB cable connector (block-off pin slot) may be all u need to do. Glad yours worked out
pokemon.jpg
Above, USB cable/connector is modded by poking hole so it's incorrect keying can fit into a front panel header; since JFP1/FIO pins 9/10 are 'dead', we may or may not move the wire into the new slot we made a hole for, depending on level of OCD

Last edited:

AW Ron

Thank you so much, I was able to make the connection from MB to FIO and now power button is functional! Had to swap pin 9 and 10 on the 3DVC4 and the extension to get it to slot and started right up:D

Chownki66

Got an area 51 R6 with a x570 aorus master and cant get the lightning to work, anyone know what to do? Have not tried R6 bios reg, cant find any..

Cass-Olé

There's a difference between successfully installing CmndCntr & afterwards not getting lights to work vs they don't work because CmndCntr won't install in the 1st place, which is your issue?

After a mthrbrd swap, a major issue could be loss of all lights, or, loss of just the side panel lights & no one has been able to solve that. If they did they haven't published the fix in the 3 Alien forums I visit (here, Dell.com & Arena)

Very few if any 51 R3-R7 etc owners visit here & none have left .reg Bios data here for us. Generally u would get your copy from original mthrbrd b4 yanking it out for the aftrmrkt swap-in board

I posted some thoughts on reddit (user KnightFury) to an R4 owner, who had the same/similar issue (but got no help) which if the advice can't help you out it may help someone else later who stumbles into this thread. Otherwise I hope that other member input can come to the rescue here. So I built a my custom PC into a Alienware area 51 case and got it all working finally but I can not get the lights to work. I've read that you need a motherboard bios registry key to a Alienware board? Anyone want to share there's with me?

JanWey07

Hey Guys,
thanks for the manual aswell.
Im about to buy a ALX Case and i wanna build in other Hardware. Don't get me wrong - the manual itself is very good for sure but
for me, as i'm from Germany, even if i can read english well, its hard for me to understand because i really don't know that much
about PCs since i started looking for a new hobby due quaratine :D . So - maybe could anyone help me to do this with like TeamViewer or something like this? Im about to fit a Z270 in the Case with an i7 7700k and a Corsair H100i - my plan was to open the gills all the time if the PC is turned on and fit the radiator on top. Because of that i really need this Control Center get to work. I guess my Hardware Build will be done in like 3-4 Weeks depending on how fast i get my parts.

Thank you Guys and have a nice day.

Cass-Olé

1st, you can use CmndCntr 2.8.9, it should just install, needs no help

Later u can try 2.8.11, but it needs the registry work-around from page1 (see instructions page1), can google translate help u with page1? Or this uTube? Installing Alienware Command Center on Area 51 R2 with non Alienware Motherboard

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS]

"BiosMajorRelease"=dword:00000008

"BiosMinorRelease"=dword:0000000f

"ECFirmwareMajorRelease"=dword:000000ff

"ECFirmwareMinorRelease"=dword:000000ff

"BaseBoardManufacturer"="Alienware"

"BaseBoardProduct"="0XDJ4C"

"BaseBoardVersion"="A03"

"BIOSReleaseDate"="04/27/2010"

"BIOSVendor"="Alienware"

"BIOSVersion"="A11"

"SystemFamily"="0"

"SystemManufacturer"="Alienware"

"SystemProductName"="Area 51"

"SystemSKU"="0"

"SystemVersion"="00"

Last edited:

xps630

Hi, Cass, I am about to get a barebone A51 R2 case. I have copied your A51 R2 bios key. Is this key guaranteed to work for AWCC 4.0 install without error on a non Dell motherboard? Should I download the Win7 or Win10 AWCC exe? Do you advise using old Version 4.0.59.0, A00-00 and not the latest Version 4.8.25.0, A00? Should I first disconnect USB_1 cable between FIO and MB when installing Windows, like you advised for MIO in R1?
Another question is: are there 4 (2x2) LED (top and bottom) for A51 R2 front light?

Last edited:

Cass-Olé

Hey there, let me try this one at a time, but let me start here

I've heard, without evidence, that some people can get the 4.x versions of CmndCntr meant for the R2, to (sometimes) install without an error or block; therefore, try to install it 1st. If it installs, great, but if it blocks your install (platform not compatible error etc), then yes the R2 Registry data I attached here is good (guaranteed) to trick the software into installing. The whole procedure that AVicD posted on page1 post1 takes 5minutes or less to do, nothing to fear, in fact it takes longer to read about how to do it than it does to do it

Should I download the Win7 or Win10 AWCC exe? After Jan 2020 I'd say the W10 version 4.8.25

1st disconnect USB_1 cable between FIO/MB when installWindows, like for R1? No, the FIO doesn't "soft-brick" or lock up like R1 MIOs were said or thought to potentially do

Front IO H6HK9.jpg
If I don't connect molex 4 pin power to FIO, but connect the rainbow FIO_PWR1 cable between FIO and MB, so that alien head power button can close switch on logo board, which goes through FIO via logo to FIO cable, then to MB to turn on power, i.e., use FIO purely as passive relay station while having no power supply to FIO, would that work? --> Yes it should work --> For case lights to work u need 4pin Molex/Peripheral cable plugged in … … ….

Another question is: are there 4 (two pairs) LED (top and bottom) for A51 R2 front light? one uniform color light on each side of front panel. is that light actually controlled by two separate LED on each side? Logo board has 4 LED headers (2 red 2 white), and one black cable from top to red header, one double color twisted cable without sheath from bottom to white header --> I don't remember, perhaps u can check eBay for the spare part pics, or, check your case when it arrives

I still have my XJKKD R2 mthrbrd ($63/shipped eBay) up & running in my R1 case w/a 5930k, so I can produce Registry keys at will here for anyone anytime (email it as an attachment etc). Several people have confirmed the one I posted here helped theirs work, so good luck with yours

Last edited:

xps630

thank you. several users report their Dell stock x99 motherboard just suddenly went No POST. no matter what No POST procedure they tried no luck and no life. seems risky to buy a $1000 complete R2 system if no warranty and one day it could just go belly up.
question: how easy is it to peel off plastic piece blocking mid front 120 mm fan air flow access?
you are the only one I heard to move x99 back into R1 case and get rid of your R2 case. Can you tell me your opinion on the merits and downside of R2 vs R1 case? Is there something bad about R2 case in your opinion?
the logo board LED I was curious about has this wiring pic.

Last edited:

Cass-Olé

Post contains edit at bottom

Hey, the 51 R1-R7 + Aurora R1-R4 boards -though lower tier & no frills- are made by MSI so I trust them, most should last 10years even though a small percentage won't, that's normal … … …

For the lower case wall fan, they shipped a block off plate, just pull it off, preferably after u get a wall fan in action by purchasing part# VNPD3 -->check eBay or contact / chat w/Dell Spare Parts
imagesJB3AP238.jpg

No side lights probably has to do with the mthrbrd Bios, how it behaves at startup, how it treats the FIO board --> if either don't like each other than no side lights

I was able to get the case and door lights working full order with an Asus rampage V edition 10
See checkin thread page3

I liked my R2 case, it's well built, just the visuals don't live up to the R1's better looks in my subjective opinion. R2-R7 case is worth it if u can score one cheap. Downside is if the side lights or no lights light up, otherwise it's a good investment, u should like yours, & u may notice it has a premium feel to it even

R2 questions can be moved to a new thread to keep this one stream-lined as a sole discussion on How to Install Command Center for a Non-Alienware Motherboard

xps630

tried to run AWCC on there non AW motherboards in R2 case. All failed. Windows 10, tried both 4.8.25 and 4.0, different error on the two MB. The install was smooth using Regedit.
Errors:
For 1st and 3rd MB (old chipset), if running Alien FX alone, was able to see triad case on screen w color options and change led color on screen only, does not turn on side led or change actual front led color (stuck on green now). error: theme is for a device but device not found. (When tested in Win 7, FIO listed as usb 2.0 crw device and unsuccessful driver install) error: there is a problem communicating btn your MB and device.
For 2nd MB (newer), if running AlienFX, instant error dead end loop (can not get out except end task in task mgr), do not see triad case on screen. seems worse.

Last edited:

Cass-Olé

It's possible that your mthrbrd has to be an X99 or newer model, in order to run CmndCntr 4.x, is it?

The CmndCntr lockup/freeze sounds like a CPU older than X99

The 'no instance of an object' usually means the FIO board has no (Molex 4pin) power &/or the USB cable isn't hooked up between mthrbrd & FIO

Due to the x99 alienboard design, 51 R2 uses a shorter ~16" or so USB2.0 cable since it just has to get tpo about the 24pin cable mid-board, & generally almost all mthrbrd swaps need a new / longer ~22" or more USB cable in order to reach their header at the bottom sill area. If I said the USB cable supplied in the case was 16" or so, did u use an extension, use a longer one, or just not use one at all yet (if the ~16"+ factory cable cant reach)

xps630

I did not know CC 4.0 requires chipset of x99 and above.

Last edited:

rvcjew

Hi all, I think this has been answered and i'm out of luck but here goes. I have a client that had a threadripper R6 that uses the H6HK9 , well the MOBO is completely dead hence the swap to modern hardware (x570, 3600,) now there hdd is also dying (what luck right) and the installed version of command center does work for lighting but I will need to reinstall windows on the new drive as there install is also kinda messed up anyways. I don't have anyway to get the reg file for the R6 Bios and the 4.8.23.0 ACC off dells site wont load on it with the r2 bios reg I found on here. Version 4.8.25.0 will with that r2 reg but then when it loads it just complains about a thermal error and then just has a spinning wheel forever. Is there a way I can using the BIOS file off dells site learn what to manually add to my registry in the bios section to get the 4.8.23.0 to install? Also do you know if the Cypress USB driver is for this IO board or just an old driver for the old Boards Chipset?

Thanks for the info so far.

Here is a Pic (need to get new tie downs as the stock ones glue is shot) since i figured you would ask for one eventually.
20200528_080212.jpg

Last edited: