How to install SSD into X51

daxmagex

You will need:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200214
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123107
+
SSD and also X51 drivers which can be found on the Dell website or the Disks that came with the x51

Here's how

It's actually very easy to open up the case. Just unscrew the back of the x51 and slide the left panel out. After that, unscrew 2 screws to lift up the gtx555. Unscrew 1 more to slide out the dvd drive.

Take off the current 4 pin molex power and connect it to the cable you bought. After that, connect the cable to the motherboard. Connect the sata power to ssd.

Before you put everything back, unplug the HDD to make sure the OS installation on the SSD will have no problems. Keep in mind that this is using the SSD as a boot drive and to hold a couple of other programs. Keep ALL bulky files and storage on the HDD.

After the OS installation, plug back in the HDD and install drivers.

Here's how to enable trim for your SSD (Credits go to whoever wrote it.)
Code:
How to enable TRIM Command in Windows 7 with a Solid State Drive 

To enable or disable TRIM Command, you will need to open an Elevated Command Prompt window. 

How To Open an Elevated Command Prompt window: Click on Start Orb > Type "CMD.exe" in Search box > Right click on "CMD" and select "Run as Administrator" (If you receive a prompt confirmation, click YES)

How to Enable TRIM Command

In the Elevated command Prompt windows, type the following:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

How to Disable TRIM Command

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
Results explained below:
DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

How to enable AHCI in Windows 7 after Instalation:

There is one way to fix this, although you need to have knowledge of registry editing. The detailed steps from Microsoft are as follows:

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

These steps are provided at your own risk and not suggested unless you know and understand the risks. You will want to make sure the controller driver and MB BIOS support this option before you enable it

Here's where to mount(tape) your SSD.

Other pics.

And thats it! :D

jpierson86

Thanks for the post, I plan on doing this same thing when I get mine.

Couple of questions:

After installing Win7 to the SSD, is all the needed Alienware software/drivers on the included disks? So my install should be no different from the OEM install on the HDD?

Second, does the X51 come with a Windows disk? I have my own already, just curious.

And last, TRIM is not activated by default? When I installed an SSD in my laptop last year it was, I didn't need to do anything.

I would like to retain full functionality of all the included software, including Alienware ReSpawn.

Last edited:

sway

Yes thank you, just received mine a few days ago and im going to be putting a ssd in very soon.

daxmagex

Thanks for the post, I plan on doing this same thing when I get mine.

Couple of questions:

After installing Win7 to the SSD, is all the needed Alienware software/drivers on the included disks? So my install should be no different from the OEM install on the HDD?

Second, does the X51 come with a Windows disk? I have my own already, just curious.

And last, TRIM is not activated by default? When I installed an SSD in my laptop last year it was, I didn't need to do anything.

I would like to retain full functionality of all the included software, including Alienware ReSpawn.
The OS disk came with the device. All drivers are given to you in the disk. Keep in mind that the eject button of the X51 will not work until you install the driver so before you do, you have to manually eject from "My Computer".

To make sure your SSD maintains in top condition, make sure TRIM is enabled. It only takes a minute or so.

jpierson86

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I would have to clone the primary hard drive, now it looks like I won't have to. Yay!

Thanks for the info. Like I was saying with my last machine when I installed an SSD, TRIM was activated automatically. I will make sure after I install it in the X51 that TRIM is in fact working.

JDThird

Just did this on my new X51 I just received - I have the right one selected in the BIOS for boot, and eventually it DOES boot and I have the SSD as my system drive now (C:) but it sits for 3 to 5 minutes at the POST screen before actually even activating the function keys to do setup or boot menu or anything. once it boots it works fine, but I can't get it to go past the POST as fast as it did before the SSD... I've done a lot of SSD's and never had anything quite like this on any of my other systems. going to look to see if there's a more recent BIOS for the X51 as well as downgrade the firmware on my SSD (Crucial M4 that had problems due to the new firmware so their support said to put it back to the previous) and see if either of those help, but otherwise even the boot is taking forever, I get the splash screen for windows and it looks like it's booting at SSD speeds (My boot camped mini booted in about 15 seconds from power button to desktop using this very SSD) until the splash screen goes black right before the logon screen comes up - and there's another 60 second or so delay...

If the BIOS and firmware changes don't make a difference I'll just yank it out as it's not that critical for me, as it's a media center PC that runs 24/7 so I only have to deal with boots once in a while when I need to either change something or just refresh it.

sway

I actually have the same problem, is not on every boot though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

JDThird

I had a good experience index before removing the SSD - 7.7 overall since that was the lowest score (for the i5 processor(. Everything else was 7.8 which is out of 7.9 IIRC so I'm satisfied with the performance so far, but I haven't started using it yet. I gave up, and just pulled the SSD. Since it's a media center PC I can live with a spinning drive as it doesn't get rebooted often, or apps launched other than at boot. Not worth the hassle for me. If you ever track it down let me know - my new system already had A06 for the BIOS so nothing to update there... Maybe I'll do an SSD attempt again in the future if someone works out the problem.

michaelbyz23

thanks for sharing. btw, do I really need to remove m HDD first when installing the Windows 7?

AeonSoul

thanks for sharing. btw, do I really need to remove m HDD first when installing the Windows 7?
That would be a good idea yes, because Win7 stores installation files and the hidden partition on the first drive it finds, so having your HDD removed will make it so everything will be installed correctly on the SSD.

michaelbyz23

hmm but my hdd has windows 7 inside, i need to reformat it as well.
so what are the steps you recommend me? put in ssd, install windows 7, then put back hdd and reformat it? or i can reformat the hdd right away when i install my windows 7 on ssd?

michaelbyz23

What is the transfer rate? My samsung 840 pro 128gb ssd only reads and writes around 270mb/s according to crystal disk mark.

AeonSoul

hmm but my hdd has windows 7 inside, i need to reformat it as well.
so what are the steps you recommend me? put in ssd, install windows 7, then put back hdd and reformat it? or i can reformat the hdd right away when i install my windows 7 on ssd?
yes to the first one.
remove hadd, put ssd, install win7, put hadd back and reformat it.

no idea about temps, i dont own an x51.

as far as it goes for w/r speed your samsung 840 pro should be able to go up to 500mb/s, providing is running on sata 3 and correct drivers setup.

GoHack

Has anyone got pictures, as well as P/N's, for an X51 that came w/an SSD installed from Dell?

Carson2006

This should be a sticky article.

Do you have a recommendation for a specific size of SSD or model?

I am currently looking at the 120 GB variant of the Samsung 840 EVO TLC.

sway

This should be a sticky article.

Do you have a recommendation for a specific size of SSD or model?

I am currently looking at the 120 GB variant of the Samsung 840 EVO TLC.
Get the evo you won't be disappointed.

tappin from the neXus 5