How to install SSD into X51

Carson2006

Get the evo you won't be disappointed.
Haha I like the sound of that!

I see in your signature that you are using a 256 GB Samsung SSD. I am assuming it is an Evo or Evo Pro?

How is that size working out for you? Do you feel cramped for size on the SSD at all?
(I doubt you do if you're still using the stock hard disk as well)

sway

Haha I like the sound of that!

I see in your signature that you are using a 256 GB Samsung SSD. I am assuming it is an Evo or Evo Pro?

How is that size working out for you? Do you feel cramped for size on the SSD at all?
(I doubt you do if you're still using the stock hard disk as well)
It's in my custom pc, along with another ssd and 1tb hdd. There's only an evo then the 840 pro, but the evo is faster when rapid is enabled. I get 1k+ read and write speeds.

tappin from the neXus 5

FarSolar

Is the OS disk the Resource DVD that came with the computer? I didn't receive any disks saying Windows or anything like that.

Alienwulf

FarSolar

Resource DVD is the drivers and app's they no longer ship the OS disk. You can use any copy of Windows and your Key but you lose the Alien feel. Best is to Respawn every thing just in case. If you are fresh installing you can call support and ask them to send you a copy a USB..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP4qt8njl5E
This is the item..http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=605958
What do you mean by fresh installing? I'm going to be disconnecting my HDD then inserting the windows usb they give me. After it downloads Windows it should be fine to plug the HDD back in and be done with everything right?

Alienwulf

A fresh install is when you put a new copy of Windows on the machine and install the drivers..instead of making a clone ( copy of the Windows ) on to the new Drive and you bring the drivers with it. The resource disk you asked about has the drivers on it not the newest they are on Dells support site. But they will get you up and running.

tehshort

Quick question, where and how do i place my SSD, if i have removed the DVD Drive?!?

pengful

Just some feedback on installation of SSD.
1. Cloning software does not always work as advertised. I got the Samsung 850 EVO and the data migration software stalled on me.
2. Ended up doing a fresh install of windows on the SSD and complete wipe of the hdd.
Bottom line is boot up time and other apps work so fast now. Still, I would recommend SSD for the X51.

Akaara

Can You replace the HDD with SSD by just plugging it into the HDD slot?

Deacon_Spires

Was really happy to have found this thread. Just wondering if anyone has added an SSD to their X51 recently that could suggest upgraded components? Thanks!