[How To] Transfer Alienware X51 Series to New Case

ivory_soul

Oct 23, 2016
Well, I just spent all day and night researching and actually doing this. A lot of the reasons why people will transfer the X51 into a new case is that it doesn't support GPUs outside of what's supported 90% of the time. The problem is the 330W PSU just isn't enough for newer GPUs and I have personally experienced shutdowns on a GTX 970 and 1070 for a total of 2 years now. I spent dozens of hours troubleshooting from buying a new power supply brick to drivers and hardware. It's just not enough power and as much as I absolutely loved my X51-R2 it was time say goodbye. I spent $400 on a new GPU and 5 seconds into Wildlands or The Witcher and it shuts down. It was a gamble with the 970 as it would only shut down with a select few games. I got frustrated and one night tore the computer apart and transferred it all over. I also used the correct blower style cards and they were reference GPUs as to make sure they weren't overclocked and consuming too much power.

Before I actually spend several hours writing the guide, would anyone be interested? There's currently no comprehensive guide online as I had to piece together info from dozens and dozens of forums and also use my own guess work. It's not an easy task but can be done on a $150 budget for people who still want to use their parts. Let me know what you guys think and I will provide support in this thread for as long as people want.

16h0t5.jpg

Kyrroid

Apr 9, 2017
IMG_1210.JPG IMG_1211.JPG Hi, I just recently transferred my x51 into a phantex ethoo evolv itx case and have had some annoying issues with the setup.

1. The computer will power, the keyboard and mouse light up, but no video is on screen when I plug hdmi from my monitor into the graphics card.

2. The computer has video showing up on the monitor when I connect it to the hdmi output on the motherboard. The only issue with that, is five minutes in the computer freezes completely.

This thing has just been causing headaches, but if someone could help me, I would immensely appreciate it.

Specs:
Alienware X51 R2 Mobo
AMD Raedon R9 370
Evga 650 GQ semi modular power supply
Phantex ethoo evolv

ivory_soul

Oct 23, 2016
1. Is it overheating? Use MSI Afterburner to monitor temps. Mine runs at a cool 48c when idle with a GTX 1070 overclocked.

2. It doesn't look like you have many fans in there. Did you try using another monitor, even a TV to see if the issue persists (could be the monitor)

3. Try a different HDMI cable, it could be faulty as well. It seems dumb, but I've had this happen to my PS3 where the video would freeze or cut out after a few minutes due to a faulty cable.

4. Out of curiosity do you have your front panel cables on the right polarity? Follow this guide to make sure they are correct. The black one is ignored. The color coding isn't correct on the X51 board so you have to go by the numbers.

5. Make sure you turn off error reporting in the motherboard bios settings as the X51 has a power sensor connector that was for the laptop charger plug that is no longer present.

maxresdefault.jpg

Get back to me with the results.

Mine was setup flawlessly with no errors or issues.

Kyrroid

Apr 9, 2017
Everything hooked up correctly as far as the front panels go, there is a big 200mm fan in the case that cools it, but so far it hasnt even had enough to overheat . I have tried 2 different monitors 1 using hdmi and the other using DVi, but both do not show signal. How do I get into the bios? And what would I enable or disable as far as just getting my gpu to display signal. Thanks!

ivory_soul

Oct 23, 2016
Here's another question.

1. Did your case have standoffs? Should have been gold screws that the motherboard sat on top off. There's a major issue if you didn't.

2. Did you connect the 4-pin CPU power connector?

3. Did you take the cooler fan off the CPU? If you did you need to regrease the CPU die before turning it on again, you could fry your CPU. You must ALWAYS regrease the CPU if you take the cooler fan off.

4. Try reseating your RAM

Kyrroid

Apr 9, 2017
IMG_1215.JPG 1. The motherboard is completely exposed on the back. So that could most likely be the issue.
2. Yes the 4 pin cpu power adapter at the top right corner is connected
3. I did take the cooler fan off the cpu, but before powering it on I cleaned them with high % alcohol and reapplied the thermal paste

4. I'll try that right now and tell you how it turns out

ivory_soul

Oct 23, 2016
I have a sneaking suspicion it's the PSU that's not supplying enough power. The 390 requires a minimum of 650W so the issue is an overvoltage problem when starting up the PC. You probably want a 750W PSU to be safe. I got a 750W one for my 1070 despite it only needing 500W. Take that one back to the store and get a 750W to see if that helps.

UPDATE: Nevermind I thought you had a 390. IT's a 370 which requires 450W. That blows my theory out of the water. It could be faulty though. I would try and return it for a new one. My only other idea is that you damaged the motherboard somehow during the transfer.

Kyrroid

Apr 9, 2017
I'm fairly certain that it has something to do with the gpu. Im going to clean it out with compressed air right now (since it's rather dusty) and re instate it. Again, thanks so much for your help, if all else fails I'll just order a new case and power supply. Could you link me to the case you used?