test

i need help with my mx17

help

hi! i don't know if this is the right place to post this but i've already tried with dell customer support which didn't help me at all, i have a big problem with my computer the frame rates are like 6-10 when normally they would be 40+ or even more i think its the video card or it could be the computer so mi question is has this happened to any of you and how do i fix it?

MattyB

There are a few things you could check. First you can check to make sure that your machine still recognises your graphics card. Go to Device Manager and Display Adapters. You should have an Intel one and a Nvidia/AMD one. If the Nvidia or AMD one is missing you could try reinstalling the driver for it from their websites. You should also check to make sure that the game you are trying to play is still set to use the dedicated graphics and not Intel graphics.

What graphics card do you have?

help

i have a 460m and how do i check if my games are running on dedicated graphics

JennyM

Hey, :)
You can download a free program called TechPowerUp GPU-Z and check out your GPU stats, Alienware tech guys used this program with me on the phone. It will log your graphics cards behaviour to file. Leave the program running & play your game, then drop down to desktop & check out the log file. You should see an increase/decrease while the game is playing/stopping. You can also do a small render test with the TechPowerUp GPU-Z program, which tests the card and forces it into performing at its best.
Its easy to use, & hopefully might answer some of your questions, (unless someone else can tell u another option)

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

•Support NVIDIA and ATI cards
•Displays adapter, GPU and display information
•Displays overclock, default clocks and 3D clocks (if available)
•Includes a GPU load test to verify PCI-Express lane configuration
•Validation of results
•No installation required

Good luck! I been down this road before on the M15x section - same card :p

MattyB

i have a 460m and how do i check if my games are running on dedicated graphics

On your desktop, right click and select Nvidia Control Panel. Select Manage 3D settings and then select one of your games or programs from the program dropdown box. Make sure that all the options for this program says 'Use Global Settings' or 'On' or something to that nature. Make sure it doesn't say 'Off'. This is just for GPU intensive programs. You don't really need your 460M for day to day stuff.

What driver version are you using? You can check via, Control Panel - Uninstall a program, and look for the Nvidia driver.

AeonSoul

Aight, since you upgraded the drivers recently, I'm assuming, then probably the NVIDIA control panel settings went nuts and got resetted to default.
Just do as Matty said and force the progream to use the dedicated graphic card. If that doesn't work then go down Jenny's road and see where that leads.