test

I rejuvenated an old computer!

NavyGeo

Hello everyone. I'm a 58 year old retired Navy Chief and a computer guy from way back. Last year I was driving home and spied a huge Kelly Green computer case sitting on the curb. I stopped, rang the bell of the house it was in front of, and obtained the owner's permission to take it home. I got it home and discovered I had a Pentium 4 AlienWare Area 51 computer. I plugged it in, and was welcomed by that good 'ole WinXP desktop...after about 3 minutes! So it sat until a few weeks ago when I had some free time and had collected some pieces.
I removed the electronics and disassembled the case. I sanded down all the plastic cover pieces, then applied a nice coat of primer. Once the primer was dry I put on 3 layers of royal blue; before that could completely dry I sprayed a gloss grey over it. The grey 'peeled', leaving what looks like cracks in old grey skin.

outsidefront.jpg

outsideside.jpg

Then I installed the following:

GigaByte GA-Z87X-OC motherboard.
Intel Core i5 4690 cpu.
CoolerMaster V8 cooler.
12Gb of RipJaw DDR3 10600 ram.
ATI Radeon RX570 video card.
EVGA 750w power supply.
some hard drive.
some DVD player.

I hooked everything up and hit the switches, and got:

insideon.jpg

Life!! Then came BIOS, WinX install, and a Speccy check:

BIOS.jpg

Speccy.jpg

So I like my 'old' crackly-skinned alien hanging out in my room much more than the old green one! I still need to wire up the red LED behind the little black alien head on the top of the front cover but it's been running well for 4 days now. I have thought about experimenting with BitCoin mining using it, so as to isolate my primary computer/network from potential attacks coming from that hobby.

I welcome your comments, critique, and suggestions. I know I could do a bit better with cable management, and I'll try to clean it up. Thanks for checking it out, and I hope to hear from you more experienced 'bashers'!

Rick

Chasm

Great project. Another Predator 1 rescue!
I have an old Predator 1 and have recently rebuilt it. The case that I'd rescued has a dead LED in the front alien head, and I've yet to make it work

salansari

Jeeeez man why would anyone throw anything like that away??? I mean if it was an old gray box fine but its clearly something special.

Greeny173

Glad to see that as one military man to another, great minds think alike. When you saw that sitting on the curb, you realized it was a project looking for a home. I knew when I purchased mine new from Alienware that the "Beast" was something that I would rebuild it many times over the years.

NavyGeo

Glad to see that as one military man to another, great minds think alike. When you saw that sitting on the curb, you realized it was a project looking for a home. I knew when I purchased mine new from Alienware that the "Beast" was something that I would rebuild it many times over the years.
It runs like a beast now...well as beastly as an older i5 is going to be! I have had it 'on' since I made this post back in September with the exception of a few power outages. Neither the hardware nor the software has given me any issue. I've decided to replace the front panel LED with a black-light LED if I can find one. I'll send a photo when I get one in and lit.

I'm a rescuer of old computers. I have one of the last VIA CPU-powered desktops sitting next to the Alien which chugs away merrily running BOINC. I'm trying to get a video card to work in it, but so far haven't had any luck.