test

I Shit Myself....

Commy1

SO GUYS I just did something that was much needed, I am now very grateful I have done it and I feel a lot better about myself.

I have successfully re-pasted my M14x. I ordered some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste (because I couldn't find an outlet for ICDiamond that didn't come from Hong Kong/USA/Overseas and didn't look shady) and repasted my GPU and CPU.
After I had reassembled I turned on the laptop and... I got 5 beeps... which means... CPU/RAM/Motherboard problem! Aaaand I pretty much shit myself.
SO I took it apart again... looked over everything again, and again... and again and I prayed to all mighty computerismo that I would get this working....

Upon reassembling the second time, I turned it on... and BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!
I curled into a ball on my couch for about 5 mins contemplating jumping off a cliff. SO in 1 last ditch attempt I called Alienware tech support, Edward was a very nice guy and told me to do 1 thing. Press the Function key (FN) while pressing the power button AND... it worked. I grew a pair of wings just then and I felt saved.

I feel really stupid, I watched the video's over and over and readied myself with new demagnetized screw drivers, anti static bubble wrap, the paste and heavy duty cleaner and purifier and I thought I had done everything right... well it turns out I have done everything right without much of a hitch. And for those who don't care about that and want to know the Artic Silver 5 stats:

Low/Idle = 45/50 at 10% load WHERE I WAS GETTING 55-60
High = 80max Where I was getting 85-95

GPU Overclocked to max 770mhz + Memory clock up to 1170 with MSI Afterburner
Idle = 40 where I was getting 55
100%= 68 where I was getting 75
Pushing out 80fps on Ultra Tribes Ascend in 16v16 explosion-o-rama
60fps Ultra Skyrim

I am very please :)

CYBORG F.R.E.Q 5 Headset UPDATE!!
IT'S IN THE MAIL!!! Pictures and review to follow, check out the thread under Hardware

Last edited:

MattyB

I can only imagine what you must have been going through! Glad it all worked out for you. Looks like great results.

Regarding Dell/Alienware support, When I was originally reseaching laptops I heard heaps of bad stories about Dell and their support. I have only ever had great service from them. Good to see they helped you out without any problems.

BlackJair

Nice! I want to re-paste mine too but im afraid of losing the processor xD

The first time I opened my laptop to replace the power dc jack, I was really scared of doing something that may ruin the hardware or broke it. When i finish the replacement, and reassembled the laptop it didn't turn on, nothing happened and i was almost crying for it xd After several times of tooking apart and reassembling I noticed that i wasn't connecting the Alienhead button to turn it on.

Those little things that are "must check" are the commonly forgotten ones, its a horrible feeling that cames when you think you just broke your laptop/desktop.

Hope i get the strenght needed to do it soon x(

Commy1

Yeah, it was scary. Just follow the video, prepare yourself for it and you'll be fine. The hardware isn't made of glass, it does have some give and forgiveness to it, you'll be fine :)

man that is scary I would have shit myself too! glad it worked out! the bliss you feel once its properly over :)
also which video? you didn't provide any link

Commy1

No problem guys, just remember how to put it back together :p He stops after putting in his ram really really early at the end lol

Yeti

Aah yes, that gut wrenching feeling that subsides ever so slowly. Been there a couple times :)

xGeorgexBP

I'm marking the days till I do this myself lol It's always scary when you do it the first time -- yet so much fun. I'm glad everything turned out great :]