test

I want to do a clean install of W7, but

Ianm63

I've got an M17 R4 with W7 Home but want to do a clean install (can you download a full copy of W7 Home from the Dell site or no?)

Or put my W7 Pro in....as I have the disc

If I put mine in will it affect the warranty?

Maelstrom

It should have come with an OS disc (like mine did) but if you don't have one then you might as well put the Pro disc in.

yikes81

before you do a clean install with a windows not provided by dell, make sure you download all the drivers required for your M17x

Ianm63

No I don't think it will affect your warranty at all.

It just might...I spoke to Dell earlier and said I put my oem of 7 pro on but need the wireless drivers in order to get on the net and upgrade the rest...he wasnt happy and advised me to to 7 home on as that's what it came out the factory with. I said I didnt have it but was getting a "proper" disc of it sent out, he then said when I get it install it........

So overall the way I took the conversation was keep the original o/s on while on warranty, when it's up (if you dont have it extended) then put on what you like

AeonSoul

I don't think that logic will fit. The OS is just a pieace of software, by applying that logic you shouldn't install any other software on your machine except the one provided by DELL. That just won't work. And afaik warranty covers hardware failures, it doesn't have anything to do with software.

Ianm63

That's what I thought too.....I'm now waiting for the proper disc from them

yikes81

I don't think that logic will fit. The OS is just a pieace of software, by applying that logic you shouldn't install any other software on your machine except the one provided by DELL. That just won't work. And afaik warranty covers hardware failures, it doesn't have anything to do with software.

Concur ... software will not void warranty. Besides, if you load a non-oem build, and something breaks, just reimage with standard build before contacting Dell. Wrranty back on!!

DDuB420

You can install any OS and it will not void the warranty. You should also have an alienware system resources disc that already has all the drivers you need for your R model. No need to download anything unless your upgrading/downgrading or changing OSes from win 7 (any version)

jacobberke

I would reccommend you clean wipe your hard drive. Then use your disc and if it asks for seral look under ur laptop or pc.