I want to upgrade my motherboard for my Alienware Auora.

Hello, I'm new to the forums! Although, I have owned my alienware for 3 years. I purchased it back in 2010. I'm not exactly sure but I think it the Aurora R1. I'm not entirely sure where to find out. Anyhow I already found a motherboard I wanted that would fit. I would like some advice from fellow Aurora users that have upgraded their motherboards!

This is the motherboard I want to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131805

Currently, this is what I have. I have no idea what the current motherboard is. Apparenty, the website offers my every detail to everything inside it but the PSU and Mobo. I was also wondering if my PSU thats already in it would need to be upgraded?

OS Wins 7 Home Premium 64bit
Alienware Aurora
Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560

many thanks in advance. I'm still pretty noob at a lot of this so bare with me.

Last edited:

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Hey mate. Yeah that mobo will fit but you will then have to buy a new CPU because the 930 you have will not fit the new mobo. You need a 2011 socket CPU with that motherboard. Your old one will be an older 1366 socket. You can get an i7 3820, 3930, 3970 or the new 4000 series 2011 CPUs.
You can also try finding a mATX motherboard which uses an 1155 or 1150 socket. This should save you money.
Ask any questions you like. Plenty of knowledgeable folks around who are happy to help

Oh man, I did not realize that. Thank you Mattyb for the informative response! I'm really disappointed because that motherboard looks really awesome and the CPU's seems to be more expensive than I hoped. I guess I might have to take a different route. I wanted to be able to eventually put in two GTX GF 660 TI and further down I wanted to get a SATA 3 SDD. Trying to give my alienware some glory again :) I'm open to any ideas that could achieve the same thing or similar things if anybody knows any. Thanks in advance!!!

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
If you have a microcenter near you I'd go for a i5 4670k, and with that you'll get a combo deal on a compatible mobo. That way you'll be up to date on your cpu socket, and have a powerful cpu.

There's certainly nothing wrong with what matty suggested, the 3570k, but they're about the same price so I'd go new. I'm a huge gigabyte fan and their mobos are extremely well built and bios are really good. I'd suggest a gigabyte ud3h/ud4h and i5 4670k. If you must go i5 3570k then go with the gigabyte ud5h.

For the gpu, go with one of the new amd r9 280x gpus, or get a r9 290x, you get a lot for the money. The 280x are rebranded 7970s, but higher clocks. The r9 290x gives you about the same performance as a 780, but for 579$.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses they are informative. I looked into everything everybody mentioned but I think I came to a conclusion. I'm glad I've been paying for my warranty because my video cards aren't working properly. I had to call a technician who tried to replace them and it ended not working. So, they are upgrading me to the Geforce GTX 680 and switching out my PSU for a new 875 watt one (pretty sure thats the standard PSU they give out with these systems) on Monday. Since I'm getting upgraded and no longer will have the bridged graphics card, I think I'm going to hold out on my upgrading until Cyber Monday. Who knows maybe what I'm looking for will be on deal? I did look into the i5 and combo motherboards at my microcenter and right now they had no options that screamed buy me. I think I wanna stick with the i7 mobo combos, but i dunno. I do wanna get some SATA 3's in there down the road. I'll probably upgrade according to whats on deal coming this holiday season tho. I like deals. By the way on a different note, what you guys looking for on Cyber Monday?!