I want to upgrade my x51 r2

sterno14

Hi there, so this is my first gaming computer I have ever bought and I have had it for just over half a year now and I was looking to upgrading my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 to something higher but I'm not sure what my computer can handle. My specs are

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Video Card 1 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Video Card 2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
Memory 8.1 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

As I am still new to upgrading and how I have never done this before, I wish I could get some help on the matter.:eek:

MattyB

The best upgrade you can do would be the graphics card. I would suggest something like the 760. Whichever you go for make sure it is a reference style card which blows the hot air out the back of the card and not back into the case.
Most likely you will also have to upgrade your power supply. You will need the 330w one to power the new card. You may not need to if you go for a 750ti or lower.
Also upgrading your HDD to an SSD would be a great option. There are a few articles in here showing how that's done. That part is a little more difficult and time consuming.
Your i5 is plenty. No need for an i7 upgrade. RAM is enough too but you can get 2 x 8gb sticks if you really want to.

sterno14

What would be the easiest way of distinguishing the differences between reference cards and non-reference cards? And for upgrading the power supply, how would I do so? (Newbie here)

MattyB

The PSU should be easy to find on eBay. Just do a search for X51 330w power supply. The obvious difference between reference and non ref is the fan setup. Non reference cards have usually 2 or 3 large fans cooling the GPU. Reference style cards usually have one fan which is mostly contained inside the unit. These push the air out the back end of the card which is what you want due to the small space inside the X51. I'm on my ipad now but hopefully the pics work ok.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406889205.535238.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406889217.681309.jpg

sterno14

Okay perfect I think I understand now. I was confused at first with the power supply but the problem was that I was looking at internal power supply and not exterior. So when I do eventually buy a new graphics card and power supply, is there anything I should worry about when installing it? Or anything I should do prior to installing it?

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Oh and what if I were to wait till the release of the gtx 800 series? Could the computer handle something like that?

MattyB

It should handle it. Too hard to tell at this stage though. The 800 series should be a lot less power hungry than the 760 and above if the 750 and 750ti are anything to go by.
Just make sure you have the latest Nvidia driver installed. Should be pretty simple. Watch a few YouTube vids on how to disassemble your machine properly. There is a decent chance of crushing wires when pushing your new card in. I'm not completely sure if you will need extra power cables for your GPU. It will depend on which one you get I believe.