I would like to swap the PSU of my 2012 Aurora R4. Which one to choose? Also: How do I bring the case lighting back to life?

inkibally

Nov 5, 2021
Lithuania
Hello fellow owners

Over the years I have replaced and upgraded almost everything except the power supply. It served me well but recently I discovered some buzzing during stress test loads so as a layman I thought maybe after 8 years it’s time to replace it. I also want enough power if Nvidias RTX 4000 series will eventually come with power draws in excess of 500 watts.
I just realized I dont know much about psu’s except their power numbers.
I wish to go for 1000W and it should be of good quality to last me another 8 years if possible.

The secondary question would be how I can bring back to life the case lighting. I remember I used to play with them through Command Center back in the day.
Since I upgraded to my “MSI 370Zm Gaming Pro AC” main board it didn’t work anymore. Alienware Command Center also says the computer isn’t compatible as I tried to install it. I didn’t bother in the beginning but now I would like to bring it back as the lights themselves should still be working fine and always looked nice.

I couldn’t find posts about this with the search function. Maybe I didn’t do it right and in that case I’m sorry.

I‘ll include a photo of the removed PSU if that may help.

Best Regards and a nice weekend

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0

Cass-Olé

Jan 9, 2013
Virginia

How to Install Command Center for a Non-Alienware Motherboard (see my post page 1 post#4 for the R4 Bios.txt & follow instructions in post #1 &/or post #4

PTDC0014.JPG
The AlienF/X MIO daughterboard is basically a USB device, therefore you must find the double-ended USB2.0 cable & have it plugged into the MIO & into a motherboard USB2.0 header ... (from there, make sure MIO board has 4pin Molex-Peripheral power from the PSU). Sometimes when mthrbrd swapping, owners forget to plug in the USB2.0 connector into the mthrbrd USB2.0 header, thus the lights won't come on. PHOTO ABOVE shows the pair of USB2.0 connectors as seen in an original OEM X79 mthrbrd (Left is MIO, Right is top external USB2.0)

For PSU related material, read through some of these links I posted (post #2)
Aurora-R4, PSU replacement questions

Note; If you have an ALX model with the top Activent system (fins that move), then you'd need to remove the HDD caddies & supply with right-angle SATA connectors for the HDD drive power, (Aurora ALX PSU Replacement Issue With HD Cages) otherwise, non-ALX models are far simpler whereu simply remove the old PSU & case harness & install new PSU cables & insert PSU chassis, cable manage, & enjoy

Note: the original case harness, the CPU 8pin cable might be ~34" long, while a typical aftermarket PSU CPU 8pin cable might be 24" - 29", therefore a CPU 8pin extension of 8" - 12" may be needed to help reach the 8pin header, u find those online (eBay/Amazon/newegg/MicroCenter/Google etc)

I can;t help pick out someone's PSU, basically get a fully modular type from Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA, BeQuiet! ... find online reviews if u like before purchase ... & note Black Friday Sales at near end of month

Reactions: inkibally

Cass-Olé

Jan 9, 2013
Virginia
The easiest lowest-cost method was to search eBay for W299G or J556T 875w original Dell PSU (decouple the PSU Chassis from the case harness 66pin black bulk connector & back the chassis out) & replace the old one with-in minutes (push new chassis into case & recouple the 66pin) ... as these desktops / PSUs age, & as a rule-of-thumb you should replace a PSU after ~10years, my best guess is that 2022-2024 is the cut-off point to consider abandoning the original & swapping an aftermarket in its place

Reactions: inkibally