test

i7 3820 and GTX 680 max temperature?

johannesynt

Hi.I use HWiNFO64 + Msi afterburner. I know there are others software for temeprature, but HWiNFO is useful becouse (with MSI On Screen Display) I can see temperature while i'm playing. I compared HWiNFO values with GPUz, meters gadgets and others, and i can confirm that HWiNFO64 reports good values.

I use msi afterburner for select the speed of GPU fan, becouse I think the factory setting is not good. For example, playing far cry 3 (directx 11, full hd, high details (not ultra) ), GPU temperature was 80 C degrees. Now, with my setting, the fan of nvidia is more noisy, but the temperature is 66 C degrees.

About CPU, in Alienware command center, i can use a custom setting for cpu's fan, but now i'm using the automatic setting(raccomanded). Playing farcry3, the MAX (of the MAX of 4 cores temperature) of i7 3820 is about 58-60 C.
In Thermal Control (Alienware command center), all the 3 sensors (in IDLE) stay on 26 C degees.So:

1) What is a dangerous temperature for GTX 680?
2) and for CPU i7 3820? is 60 C a good temperature?
3) a little more noise is not a problem, so can you suggest me a Thermal Control custom configuration?
4) in Thermal Control, what is the fan of CPU?is the PCI fan(1485 rpm in the image)?

Thermal control.jpg

Last edited:

yikes81

As far as I know, most GPU's can run up to 100°C. But if you want longevity, then keep it under the 70°C range.
Also, I would assume that the hotter the card runs, the performance will start to scale back to reduce heat.

The CPU should be in the same boat. 66°C would be normal operational temp. It should last up to 100°C before it shuts down. No damage should happen, thats why it shuts down.

It seems that your PC is running at normal temperatures. So there is no need to change anything. Even if you increased cooling with fans, I doubt that you will get better than what you are getting now. Your other option would be liquid cooling, and I think you should get into the 40°C range.

johannesynt

What temps are you running on that?

The same of the first message. Excuseme, in the first message I forgot to write that...mt Aurora R4 has luquid cooling, and the temps are:
- CPU Intel i7: IDLE = 35-38 C
- CPU Intel i7: GAMING HARD = 58-60 C (but 58-60 C is the MAX temperature of the 4 cores; so, if one core is 60C, probably the others 3 cores are 55, 53, 54 C, for example)