i7 4770 inside my x51 r2 is delidded

venticore

May 9, 2015
Hi I just to share my experience after I delidded my i7 4770 before the temps was going up to 86c while gaming in a 23-25c ambient I did undervolt the CPU to 1.05v I guess and temps went down to 81-82c then repasted with as5 to get it to 78-79c then I decided to delid the CPU and see what are the results I did apply as5 cause I don't have cool laboratory ultra for now and wow just wow with the as5 applied between the die and IHS I managed to get a temp drop of almost 10c now its max @ 71c using prime small ffts and 68c max with xtu.

Still waiting for my clu paste to arrive along with noctua paste to try again.

venticore

May 9, 2015
Update just for the sake of science :)
I changed the die Tim to clu and boom no change on temps still max at 71-72c in a 25c ambient temp.
I get to 69c when temp around 20c
The change is minimal but counts.
If you are planning to keep your i7 4770 for a long time well said it worth to delid it now playing games are not even making my CPU fan to ramp high rpm.
Happy with my results.

venticore

May 9, 2015
Just another update
I reseated my IHS and repaste again.
Guess I did it wrong on the first time now CPU max temp on small ffts in prime is 67-69c in a 23c ambient and 65c in Intel xtu and that's what I call success. Now max temp on the witcher 3 gaming for 30 mins 53c.
I might try to repaste the GPU with liquid metal paste if the cooler base is copper or noctua paste if the heatsink base is aluminum.
Might get temps below 70c @ 1430 MHz for core and 7800 MHz for vram.

venticore

May 9, 2015
Last update for this CPU delid repaste thingy
I did set a custom fan profile in fan speed now my max load temp is 64c in a 23c ambient + my CPU fan is so quite even at full load by maxing CPU fan speed @ 2700 rpm
So happy with the results just one test to do by putting clu between IHS and heatsink and do all my tests again.

What I did so far is :
1- delidded my CPU using razor method.
2- put coollaboratory liquid metal ultra between CPU die and IHS .
3- put some noctua NT-H1 paste between IHS and heatsink.
4- replaced a faulty CPU fan with AVC fan.
5- undervolted CPU to 1.05v
6- custom CPU fan profile in fan speed.

Results are temp drop from around 90c to 64c under full load + a way quiter Powerful itx Gaming PC.