Iastora.sys BSOD.. possible solution?

M14xR2 Windows 7 64x
Bios A07 (should i upgrade my bios?)

I got a Bsod after restarting my comp after a near dead battery while in sleep mode. Booted fine at first, then on a reboot windows would no longer load.. i could not make it past the loading screen, it would Bsod then restart.

The bsod error said "Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal_to" with the error caused by iAstorA.sys
My understanding is this is a driver used for windows 8 (which i dont have) which controls my iRST, linking my SSD with my main HDD as a caching unit.

now thats all fine and dandy and this little beast has been performing top notch, especially after the new motherboard alienware warranty gave me (that was a huge hassle) turns out bios A09 burns out the nVidia cards. I have decided to keep the new motherboard at the stock bios A07 because of the fear of another burn out, but i heard A11 is safe and a good upgrade? sorry off topic.

so trying to fix the Bsod.. Diagnostics checked out good. but on a system recovery my main hard drive had dissapeared, along with all backup saved on it, i could only access my SSD which is not set as a bootable. so i cannot repair, restore, or recover in any way. also when i would have the option to choose the operating system or load drivers, nothing would show up (i think because to have to unlink the 2 hard drives in iRST first to reinstall the os)

My first step was to find out if it was a virus, so i got TDSS Killer and tried to run it from recover command line, but i got "the subsystem needed to support the image is not present" .. so i could not run it.. so my ability to run apps had been disabled somehow?

my next step was to make a SeaTools Dos Boot Disk, to check to see if the hard drive was working or not in general.
research led me to believe that the near dead battery in sleep mode had somehow corrupted my boot files on the main hard drive. hmm. i actually have not run seatools yet, but i will ( i found a possible solution was found before i had the chance)

most tended to have to reinstall the os

so i decided to open my iRST control panel (ctrl+i at startup) and i began to go through it because my understanding is to reinstall the os i would have to break the link between the 2 hard drives first (had not quite gotten to that part of the research)

i went into the acceleration options, and noticed the 2 hard drives where not "synced".. so i synced them, which took a while.

next time i booted up flawlessly. ???

so im not sure but it is a possibility that by syncing the 2 hds (which had not previously been done because i had replaced the motherboard and video card with fresh os) i may have fixed my iAstorA.sys Bsod!!!

so does that mean by syncing, the SSD used its chached boot files to restore the corrupted boot files on the main HDD?

So now im putting my backups on an external, and im going to run TDSS Killer and SeaTools to check for the whatnots.

Has Anybody dealt with this situation?

Also i need advice on upgrading to Bios A11 (or whatever is current)

AeonSoul

I have read an article in the AWkb on DELL's website talking about that BSOD with Driver_irql_yaddayadda, so maybe you can try checking in there for some additional infos. I'm sorry but I don't exactly remember where nor I do have a link for it :/

Update - I have ran flawlessly till yesterday when i once again left my comp unplugged in sleep mode, this time was less than 12 hours and the battery was close to 3/4, so not even close to dead. I went to the iRST and I immediately noticed the drives were once again out of sync, so i re-synced them and blam... started right up.

Im thinking there is a setting in my control center causing my HDD to stay active, such as the timer for keeping the drive active

i figure the active drive is somehow currupting its own boot files, i have not looked on dells website for that article, although i did spend many hours researching the subject.

Im going to dig a little deeper

BTW.. throughout both instances of the HDD Boot files getting corrupted, i have not lost any data on the HDD.. yay

Wipper138

iastora.sys is actually not only for Windows 8. It is actually for windows systems from Vista on. It is the Rapid Storage driver for advance format HDD's. (4k Sectors or any hdd over 320gb). If you have installed either Vita or Windows 7 Prior to SP1 then best bet would be to back up information, re install OS, and the first thing to do is install the Rapid storage driver. Windows updates and anythign else that has to verify file size will have issues with this.

crystal

iastora.sys is actually not only for Windows 8. It is actually for windows systems from Vista on. It is the Rapid Storage driver for advance format HDD's. (4k Sectors or any hdd over 320gb). If you have installed either Vita or Windows 7 Prior to SP1 then best bet would be to back up information, re install OS, and the first thing to do is install the Rapid storage driver. Windows updates and anythign else that has to verify file size will have issues with this.

nice information.....h
buy.gif
what I know...iastor.sys is the driver normally associated with the Intel RAID controller found on many motherboards. If your OS was installed with the RAID controller active make sure it is still active in BIOS. If not try booting with the controller in AHCI mode preferably or in IDE mode if all else fails.