If anyone is feeling generous and wants to give me a MXM RTX 3000,4000 or 5000.

AssimilatorX

Apr 14, 2012
You will be happy if you find a newer gen standard MXM3b card. The last standard sized cards were 82x105mm was the GTX 1080 8GB model and the Radeon Rx480. However after the GTX 1060 MXM3b variants they do not support LVDS output any more only eDP displays, and beyond the 1070 they also need power. The RTX series still exist, but they are physically on a larger larger pcb, 100x 124mm boards, and they will need a dedicated power input for the max 150w. For some reason, MXM is dead as a dodo these days. Technically nothing stopping them to use the slots, however MXM3b laptops were way too easy to upgrade and they don't want you to upgrade your old unit. I have a GTX 680M 4GB model in my old M17x-R2 instead of the dual Mobility Radeon 5870's in CrossfireX setup.

AssimilatorX

Apr 14, 2012
Yes its a Quadro RTX 3000 and it used in a dell precision workstations. You will need to unlock (modify) your BIOS. I know these cards Dell using these in the Precision 3560 and its not an Geforce RTX, its a Quadro RTX. Many features disabled even it is a TU106 die on slower clocks for stability and only 6GB ram. Had one of these laptops and my alienware 17-r4 with TU104 RTX 2080 liquid cooled still better option for Krita and Blender imho. It still not supports LVDS output only eDP plus good luck getting it working without extra power, unless you are looking to burn out your mainboard on the long run.

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
The unlocked BIOS is readily available and easy to flash. The cards work perfectly fine in LVDS laptops in SG mode and seem to function fine with the power that the MXM port can supply.
Yes, they are Quadro cards but they still give perfectly fine gaming performance and a huge set up from the cards that were released with the laptop.
The guys that like upgrading these laptops usually aren't into the BGA machines that are throwaways once the board dies. It's more about pushing to see how far you can go with these old machines.