test

Installing new hdd question.

Brusilov

Hello all.

I own an Aurora R4 and am looking for upgrading my system with an ssd as a primary hdd.

How do I go about doing this with installing Windows 8 on it?

My R4 came with an OS disk but i assume its not the full W8 installation disk.. Or is my assumption wrong?

I dont have the desired ssd yet but id like to inform my self before buying one :)

Thanks in advance.

AeonSoul

If it came with an OS disk then yes it's the full OS, providing you selected the OS when you were configuring your machine, you bought a full OS.

Brusilov

Hi thanks for your reply.

On the disk it says "Windows 8 Recovery media for Windows 8 Products 64-bit"

Doesn't this mean that its just for recovering the OS installed on my current hard disk?

I'd like to freshly install W8 on a blank ssd.

MattyB

Welcome to AWO! I think that disk should work fine. The best thing to do is make sure you keep your old hard drive safe so that you can always just plug it back in to get everything back to normal if it doesn't work. You should just buy your new SSD, insert the media disk, turn off the machine, take old the old HDD and put the new SSD in, turn on the machine and see what happens. It should automatically recognize the disk and start installing on the new SSD.
If that doesn't work you can make a system image of your windows on a disk using Windows or AlienRespawn and use that on your SSD. A fresh install would be better though. At the end of the day, you will still have your old HDD with everything on it so you don't need to worry too much.

yikes81

You should be fine. If not, as Matty said, keep your old HDD. Then contact Dell and ask them to send out an OS disc to you.

Sent via Tapatalk

jayhernandez7

The Recovery OS disc that Dell includes is used to reinstall the full OS on any new HDD or SSD or use it for repairing a corrupt OS. It is definitely a full version of whatever OS you chose during purchase. I've used several SSDs and I am very impressed with Samsung. I've used both the Evo and Pro series and they crazy fast! I currently have a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB for OS and applications and a 1TB HDD for data.

vanillahip

While we're at it does anyone have a recommendation for an SSD to buy for this?

SteeLRaiN6

I have had very good luck with Samsung products both at work and in my machine. Running two Samsung EVO 840's (512 GB ea) for boot and really fast gaming and a 1 TB drive for storage.

Quick

Any pointers/links to how-to's/steps?

I'm moving from my XPS M1730 running XP SP3.
Just received ALX with a 1TB running Windows 7 ultimate (yes, I ordered with 8.1 pro, they canceled the order and then said 8.1 was not available...).
I have a 512GB Pro SSD.
The plan is to end up on the ALX running Windows 8.1 with OS and programs on the SSD and all my data on the HDD.

For Windows XP Daniel Petri had this phenomenal guide for total customization of XP. I'm looking for something like that.
There are a number of ways I could go about it and would rather read first than try it and then find out.
Off the top of my head I'm thinking:
1) Move/install Windows 7 onto SSD with data on HDD
2) Migrate everything from the XP M1730 to Windows 7 on the ALX.
3) Upgrade to Windows 8.1

I expect most everything I have on XP will move to 7. Driver availability, etc. Then deal with moving to 8.1 Pro.
Maybe it would be best/easiest to go straight to 8.1?
1) Install 8.1 pro on the SSD
2) Migrate directly from XP M1730?

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Ok, back from some more focused browsing... Looks like my current plan is to move Windows 7 to the SSD, then migrate from the M1730 (which is running XP). ...then wait and see if the current (apparently) issues with 8.1 drivers and whatnot get sorted out before moving to 8.1 pro.

crystal

wow nice thread answered guys...it help my proublem too....
thanks