Installing new SSD...

forJAT

My AW17 should be here next week WOOT .. I am ordering my SSD to put in it now and have the 750g 7200rpm as a data disk.

I have read a few places that the proper way is to ghost the configuration immediately upon receipt and xfer over to the ssd and not do a clean os install.

So I was planning on getting Acronis software to do this.

Opinions or advice?

Thanks,

shankc

When I done it with my crucial m4 512gb ssd I just paid an extra few pounds and I got a cable and software it was simple enough or you can use alienrespawn. Just make a copy on a flash drive has to be bigger than 4gb. I have been told that works fine as well. You will get a lot of people who say do a fresh install but if your system is relatively new you shouldn't have any errors on your drive so it should be okay I cloned mine at first then everyone was telling me to do a fresh install so I did just to see if I got better performance I didn't but my system was only 3 months old when I did it. I have heard good stuff about acronis and you can use a free programme called gparted its free and it aligns your ssd partitions if they need it. Hope it goes well let me no how you get on

forJAT

Thanks Shankc, I was thinking about the alienrespawn but I was thinking Acronis because I have to back up my wife's computer as well and Acronis has that 3 computer license deal. Thanks for the heads up on the gparted I am gonna check that out later today.

shankc

No probs m8 its a handy little tool. I don't no what type off ssd your getting some have their own optimisation tool that stops the disc defrag and get rid of recycle bin things like that if yours doesn't. Their is plenty of info on the web any probs give me a shout m8

forJAT

Thanks and will do .. I will be picking up the Samsung 840 Pro Series -- more than likely the 256g and will upgrade later to the 512g .. I have dumped way too much money into two systems over last month ... lol

shankc

The Samsung 840 pro series has the optimisation programme their a very good ssd good luck and enjoy m8

forJAT

Decided to hold off on getting my SSD for now ... hopefully running it with the 7200 rpm drive will not be that bad. Figured if I was going to dump 300 on a 256gb drive that I really did not want. I could hold out for the 512gb in the next month or so.

However I might look at the cheaper alternative of a 32g msata .. i have read those are cheap and that while not true SSD performance it is an increase over time... Or if there is a way to put my OS on an msata drive (has to be a way to do that I mean there are 256gm msatas) forgive me I am new the msata world :)

MattyB

Yeah you can put your OS on an mSata no problems. I just did it to my 14 a few days ago. Exactly the same process as installing on any other drive. They cost about the same as a regular SSD though and not quite the same performance. Handy for me though since I want extra storage with a standard HDD too.

forJAT

Thanks I think I will go with the smaller msata option if the 7200rpm prove too slow. Eventually I will upgrading to that 512g SSD I have my eyes on

MattyB

The mSata cache isn't a bad way to go. Now that I boot directly off the mSata my boot time on Windows 8 went from 12 seconds to 15. It actually got worse! I don't think 3 seconds is going to kill me though.

shankc

Hi forJAT it is possible as Matty says but you need at least 128gb msata as windows 7 & 8 take up most of 64gb and they cost roughly the same as a ssd well they do in the UK. They are very handy when your short of space like in the M14 or used as a 32gb or 64gb as a caching drive. That's how I had mine setup before I bought my ssd,supposedly the more you use your computer the faster it gets and I must admit when I had 500gb 7200rpm 32gb msata caching my system was prithee fast not ssd fast but good enough for me to use till I could afford my ssd hope this helps you

forJAT

Thanks Matty/Shankc I think I will just pick up a 32 maybe a 64for caching until I get up the funds for my ssd

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

OH yeah I am definately going to be installing an SSD or Msata OS chip because I do not like having 5.9 in my user experience LOL .. everything else is 7.9 except for the harddrive. And while 7.9 is a long way from 9.9 .. 5.9 just hurts me. My gateway laptop is at 5.9 from the hard drive and would be at 6.9 if I had a better one.

And here I thought the boat was a money pit ... ROFL

dannymk6

Since its bout ssd, would like to add in a question of mine. Currently on 750gb harddisk with 64gb msata cache. If I change my harddisk to ssd, The 64gb can use as storage?

shankc

Decided to hold off on getting my SSD for now ... hopefully running it with the 7200 rpm drive will not be that bad. Figured if I was going to dump 300 on a 256gb drive that I really did not want. I could hold out for the 512gb in the next month or so.

However I might look at the cheaper alternative of a 32g msata .. i have read those are cheap and that while not true SSD performance it is an increase over time... Or if there is a way to put my OS on an msata drive (has to be a way to do that I mean there are 256gm msatas) forgive me I am new the msata world :)
Hi forJat you will need at least a 128gb msata if you want to operating system on and their isn't much difference in price. A 32 or 64gb is fine for caching drive with a 7200rpm HDD only about 5 to 10 seconds difference in boot time to ssd but I would wait until you can get a 512gb sad and I have a good video on how to set up music,photos ect to storage were you can just click on music or whatever without having to click on your storage drive

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Since its bout ssd, would like to add in a question of mine. Currently on 750gb harddisk with 64gb msata cache. If I change my harddisk to ssd, The 64gb can use as storage?

Yes you can no problems

dannymk6

Hi forJat you will need at least a 128gb msata if you want to operating system on and their isn't much difference in price. A 32 or 64gb is fine for caching drive with a 7200rpm HDD only about 5 to 10 seconds difference in boot time to ssd but I would wait until you can get a 512gb sad and I have a good video on how to set up music,photos ect to storage were you can just click on music or whatever without having to click on your storage drive

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Yes you can no problems

Found it. Using disk management. Now i have 60gb of extra storage. Tq