Installing Second Hard Drive In X51

The Ultra ULT40443 2.5" hard drive enclosure installs (2) 2.5" drives in the space of a 3.5" drive. The fit is almost perfect. You can use the existing connectors since the power is split within the enclosure. This makes for a very clean install. If money isn't a concern look up the Icy Dock 2s enclosure. It includes Raid functionality and should be an exact fit. The Icy Dock allows the removal of the drives without removing the enclosure which is nice. I'm running a 120GB SSD and a 120GB HDD in my enclosure. No heat issues whatsoever with the drives.

Flynnaz

Mar 7, 2015
Tucson, AZ
I completed this upgrade with no issues. The Ultra ULT40443 2.5" hard drive enclosure works great, you can only use the two back mounting holes on the inclosure, but it is very solid. The inclosure comes with two Sata cables. I used a 250 Samsung EVO 840, with the Samsung cloning software. I updated all my drivers and Windows, defragged the stock drive. I used a cheap USB 3.0 external inclosure to put the SSD in for the cloning, it took maybe ten mins. After installing the inclosure with the 250gb Samsung EVO 840 and a 1TB 7200rpm 2.5" drive, you need to change in Bios bot to AHCI, and another setting as well, I forgot witch one, I will post later. My system boots to a usable Windows desktop in less than 10 secs! Total upgrade ran me around $230

Flynnaz

Mar 7, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Update:
The ultra enclosure did not work. I had many system freezes. After trying all the standard fixes with no success I removed the inclosure and no more freezes. I can only guess the I closer is not made for OS type of usage, just data. I liked the construction of it.

Flynnaz

Mar 7, 2015
Tucson, AZ
This is the setup I used, it works great no issues:

Thermaltake AC0014 3.5" HDD Converter for 2.5" SATA & SSD Hard Drives
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998077

StarTech PYO1LP4SATA 6 in [152.4 mm] 6in LP4 to LP4 SATA Power Y Cable Adapter
StarTech PYO1LP4SATA 6 in [152.4 mm] 6in LP4 to LP4 SATA Power Y Cable Adapterwww.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200214

Rosewill 10" Red Flat Serial ATA III Cable with Locking Latch - Supports 6 Gbps, 3 Gbps, and 1.5 Gbps Transfer Rates
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119272

Total Cost of install hardware setup: $16.96

Hard Drive part of this setup:
USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Inclosure (for cloning)
[USB 3.0 & Tool-free ] Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 HDD SATA External Hard Drive Disk Enclosure Case for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQTO8TU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$12.99

SSD:
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJ412U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$116.99

Data HDD:
HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0J22423
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4QESVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$69.00
Total Hard Drive cost: $198.98

Grand Total at time of build: $215.94

From my post above with a little more detail:
I used a 250 Samsung EVO 840, with the Samsung cloning software. I updated all my drivers and Windows, defragged the stock drive. I used a cheap USB 3.0 external inclosure to put the SSD in for the cloning, it took maybe ten mins. Unplug your system and push the power button to be safe. Remove the side of the case, it is held by one screw in the back in the middle. Push the side towards the front of the case, left up, and set aside. Remove two screws from the video card caddy, and one screw from the CD player caddy. Left both the video and CD out and set out of the way. I removed the cable from the CD caddy, but just set the video card caddy aside plugged in. Remove the stock HD caddy by removing one screw from the back middle of the caddy, side back pull up. Install the 250gb Samsung EVO 840 and a 1TB 7200rpm 2.5" drive in the Thermaltake HDD Converter, I mounted the HD Converter into the stock HD caddy. Next you need to remove the two screws that mount the Sata connection to the stock HD, after you take the screws out you will need to wiggle the mount out of its current place. Attach the stock Sata connector to the SSD which I mounted on the bottom of the HD Converter. Next use the Y Power adapter to tap into the power on the MoBo located near the hard drive side of the MoBo. Connect the Sata cable to the open Sata port on the MoBo. Run both the Sata Power and Sata Data Cable to the HD area making sure to keep them as low and out of the way of everything as possible. Next mount the HD caddy and screw the single screw that locks it in. Plug in both the Sata Power and Sata Data to the second HD. Re install the video and CD caddys, replace the side cover, and plug everything back in. On start up you need to change in Bios boot to AHCI. I am using the windows boot loader. If you use the Windows boot loader, you will most likely need to run Windows repair. Insert the Windows CD, start your system, load fron CD, pick repair, then repair startup, this will rebuild your Windows boot loader. After restart you should have a fast startup, about 16 secs for me. That is it in a nutshell.

Last edited: