test

Installing SSD in addition to 750GB SATA drive in new Alienware 14

FLA

Hi, I'm an Aurora R4 owner who has just purchased an Alienware 14 for when I need to game on the go.

The item shipped with a 750GB SATA HDD, but I'd like to add an SSD drive to the laptop to act as the boot and application disk.

I'm unclear as to whether this is possible, however. Even after a call to Dell parts, I couldn't gauge whether it would be possible to add the SSD and keep the existing SATA HDD and the optical drive. There was some indication that I would need to remove the optical drive, but I'm unsure of whether this was a temporary removal in order to install the SSD, or whether there is not actually room for the SSD, HDD and optical drive in the laptop at the same time.

I've seen Alienware 14s specced with SSDs and SATA HDDs, so I'm assuming that it must be possible.

I'm a bit of a laptop newb. I can build a PC no problem, but don't have much experience pulling laptops apart and installing new parts, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

FLA

Thanks for your help Nhirlathotep. I followed the instructions in the youtube video and it all worked well. Bought a samsung evo 840 250GB mSATA card and it was very easy to install.

The hard part came when I wanted to get rid of windows 8 which was installed on the original hard drive and replace it with windows 7 on the new SSD drive. Anyway, it's all worked out and I'm now installing all my applications etc onto the Alienware 14.