test

Integrated Intel HD 3000

ripperbone

so im kinda new to alienware and been looking at posts about dual video cards and well i came across something saying that all M17X-R3 have a intergraded Intel HD 3000. well I cant find anything on my laptop saying it has it. I clicked on (FN and F7) and it says "This Does Not Do Anything"

I have the Nivida GeForce GTX 560M but should I have the intel HD 3000 as well?

I have tried this
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=439100
and still no luck

Maelstrom

All computers have some form of integrated graphics. Whether it's an Alienware or a cheap laptop you got from the outlet. You shouldn't really worry about at all. Your desktop screen and such should run off of the integrated graphics while an games you play use your graphics card.

DDuB420

Not the 3D 120hz screen model. It runs off of the GPU.
A buddy of mine on another forum ran into this problem when he tried to turn his Alienware M17xR3 into a hackintosh. Because of the 3D screen his model didn't support using iGPU. Which stopped his progress dead in his tracks.

ripperbone

well i just got off the phone with Alienware tech support, and he went threw my system and said I had the newest bios update and the new bios update doesnt show the intergrated video card.

DDuB420

does it say anything in the display adapters section of device manager about intel graphics (might not say 3000 HD)

DDuB420

Do you have your m17xr3's resource DVD?
If yes, load it and install the intel 3000 driver.
Check device manager again after install.

ripperbone

second call to tech support.

got a resource dvd on its way , and the tech asked why I wanted it, so I told him what was going on and he first asked if I had uninstalled anything. I told him no, but that i had updated my bios a few days ago, he put me on hold for 5 mins and came back on and asked what version is my bios and I told him A12. he proceded to tell me that the new bios update makes the intergraded card non detectable and if i wanted it too I would need to roll the bios back to A09 and that the performace of the laptop wouldnt be as good and it would be best to leave the bios to A12

thanks for the page with all the drivers. I now have that page bookmarked

DDuB420

I just did some reading, and I forgot about the A12 update. It implements the ability to select either discrete GPU or switchable graphics in the bios.

What are you set on?

DDuB420

Also, when you updated to A12 were you coming from an unlocked (modded) bios or original?

ripperbone

It's set on discrete. And i dont know how to change it

And it was the org bios

Last edited:

DDuB420

When your in the bios it doesnt give you an option to change it?
It should say what keys will allow you to switch it.

DDuB420

Interesting, I'm at work right now. When I get home in 4-5 hrs I'll check this out for you.
In the meantime I would call tech support and see what they say about switching the GPU from discrete to switchable
It states on the dell website that you can switch it, why can't you is the question.
Look here http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=9MJ02
Expand fixes and enhancements it will tell you what I mean.